Nature on Your Doorstep Community

A place to learn, share and inspire others to create a haven for you and for wildlife.

Sign In or Register to join the conversation

Hedging for wildlife

We are planting a hedge this winter along the boundary of our garden. We have 26m to fill and I would like this to be good for birds, bees and other wildlife and cooking/eating. I am looking at hazel, crab apple, hawthorn, Blackthorn, dog rose, sweet briar, rosa rugosa, bird cherry. Would like plums, either cherry plum or wild plum but not sure which would be best. Also  thinking about wild pear too? We are also planting an apple tree and green gage tree nearby so want the crab apple and plum for pollination. 

We are going to keep it at about 1-1.5m tall for now. Any recommendations and advice on this, also maybe planting/pruning advide too please. 

• Forgot to mention there is a large oak tree shading a good patch of the fencing. I have only found purging buckthorn for this area. It may get sun first thing in the morning but will otherwise be shaded.
  • Hi Clare,    I found this bit of info on the Yew Tree and hedging and it's inhabitants and foragers !    Surprised me too at how much benefit to wildlife it offers.  

Regards, Hazel 

• Wow. That's really useful - thanks, Hazy!

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Please be cautious about using yew if the hedge is accessible to livestock, especially cattle or equines as it's highly toxic to them.

Cin J

• Germain said:
    Please be cautious about using yew if the hedge is accessible to livestock, especially cattle or equines as it's highly toxic to them.

That's one of the few things I already knew about yew.  I'm planning to chat to the dog owners either side of me, though.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• i've been disappointed with my cherry plum as it's never fruited and hardly produces any blossom.
    I thoroughly recommend Silver Birch. Only prune it in November and then only up to 20% and never the top. I would recommend a nice pear as the foliage is very attractive in autumn. Hawthorn is great for wildlife and the blossom and berries are gorgeous, as long as you don't prune it.
    Hazel is good but make sure you have pollinating partners eg gunslebert + wild.
    Also consider a little bramble, alternate canes pruned on a 2 year rotation.
    Also Ivy allowed to grow up into a flowering and fruiting small tree.

Russ