help! my neighbours are trying to kill my garden birds!

My neighbours have started putting out dried rice right next to the fence that divides our properties.I have feeders and tables in my garden, and get a good variety of birds. Unfortunatley, because I live in a city, it attracts some pigeons (5 or 6 hang around most of the day) and while I try to stop the pigeons from using the feeders and bird table, there is nothing I can do about them picking up the food the other birds drop. I think this has annoyed them (although they have never said anything to me about it) What do you suggest I do? should I stop feeding them? 

please help, I'm very upset!

Rhiannon.

• There would be more polite ways to make your point, I'm sure...not addressing members by "you people" for a start.

I also find it hard to believe bird feeding is the biggest cause of vermin infestation, especially considering the amount of rats in cities for example.  Can't see many people bird feeding in back alleys the back of restaurants etc.

Don't think your local authority would be too happy the way you're carrying on either!

Bird feeding comes with an amount responsibility; to the birds themselves and to yourself and neighbourhood.  Bird feeding does come with somewhat a risk as the diseases tat can be spread around bird feeder.  Most people are aware of this and would not let things get so out of hand.

Birds aren't toilet rained either I'm afraid, they do tend to do it as they go so that' something no one has any control of.

• Your ignorance of pest control. PCO's and their methods is truely astounding.

• I was trained and qualified by my local authority thank you very much.

"I also find it hard to believe bird feeding is the biggest cause of vermin infestation, especially considering the amount of rats in cities for example.  Can't see many people bird feeding in back alleys the back of restaurants etc."

As i said, rats need 3 things. Top of that list is FOOD, doesnt matter where it comes from. Rats wont invade sealed bins etc when there is a ready supply of bread/seeds etc.

Check the facts. PCTA. (pest controls technicians association)

1. Bird feeding

2.Compost bins

3.faulty drains/sewers.

Yes, in that order.

• OK, when a rat is running round your childs bedroom, i'll make sure i wait until my poison takes effect (5 days) before i come and get rid of it.

Is that OK with you??

Or would you rather me come straight away and deal with it??? Either with a club or my gun.

Yeah,thought so.

• Your attitude leaves something be desired too.

Out of curiosity, do you feed or even like birds and wildlife?

Yes rats are a problem in pretty much every area of the country, and I doubt there's anywhere they cannot get.  I have seen and heard rat stories - and actually have been told by a Pest Control Officer that yes humans are to blame for their over population, but not people who feed the birds.  Rats do get at bird food and feeders, but they also get everywhere else - discarded food waste and general rubbish, supermarkets and restuarnats.  Its all down to education on everybody's part.  But, there is a way to do it.

• Ok.  You've made your point (there are better ways to do it no doubt).

Care to join in anywhere else or was this it?  Lots to look at you know.

• Anonymous
    0 Anonymous 13/01/2010 22:54

Hi Rhainnion

So sorry that you have has this inflicted your enjoyment of birds. Some people are so ignorant of wildlife and have no compassion whatsoever about birds.  Jealousy rules in this case.  People see pigeons, as pigeons and not the species at all.

Touch wood I have never had any problems with Ferel pigeons on my feeders at all.

Woodpigeons, Stock Doves and Collared doves are the only three types of pigeons I have seen on my feeders

Believe you me, I have moved a "lot" over the years.  Stayed at all all types of areas and houses from isolated farms up to built up areas.  So my own knowledge of birds on feeders is extreme.

Feral pigeons have "NEVER" been an issue with me at all and I have "NEVER" seen them around my feeders.

From my own knowlege, I know a bird lover who had a problem neighbour who insisted that the bird feeders attracted Feral pigeons.  The Feral Pigeons pooed all over the complainants window sills and that caused a lot of problems for this bird lover friend.

Complaints where sent to the council, and the housing association to create a load of grief for the bird lover {sad for her}

My suggestion was to place a Pigeon deterrant on the window sill so the Feral pigeons felt they 'stuck' on the window sill.  In truth it was a bird friendly made product to stop the Ferral pigeons from landing on the window sills and it kept them away form the buildings.

That resolved the isses for the bird lover and all was resolved - over and done with  {thank goodness}

Rhainnon in your case the people are vindictive, and they are malicious.  They are wrong doing what they are doing.  I would feel inclined to ring up the SSPCA /RSPB and ask advice what to do, and try to get evidence of what these people are doing to the local wildlife.

Please take no notice of people who try to upset you on this thread.

Regards

Kathy and Dave

PeregrineRhi said:

My neighbours have started putting out dried rice right next to the fence that divides our properties.I have feeders and tables in my garden, and get a good variety of birds. Unfortunatley, because I live in a city, it attracts some pigeons (5 or 6 hang around most of the day) and while I try to stop the pigeons from using the feeders and bird table, there is nothing I can do about them picking up the food the other birds drop. I think this has annoyed them (although they have never said anything to me about it) What do you suggest I do? should I stop feeding them? 

please help, I'm very upset!

Rhiannon.

• Wow!

You are quite an angry person cornz. Is this the official position, do your employers know of your outburst? If you are sure of your comments why do you need to have your own ID hidden? Are you even what you claim to be? You have made the point that many people feed the birds, many millions in fact! Yet these problems you speak of do not have numbers that are ever deemed news worthy! That can only mean that the vast majority of bird feeders are responsible! So, as you should already know, If you are what you claim to be. It would be wrong to make such a sweeping statement, about people you don't know. Is this why you hide?

John :-)

For viewing or photography right place right time is everything. I'd rather be in the right place with poor kit than have the best kit and be in the wrong place.

• That's worried him, John. He's gone off line now!

Cheers, Linda.

See my photos on Flickr

• Anonymous
    0 Anonymous 13/01/2010 23:04 in reply to Sparrow

Well said John

Some people think that they are safe behind a keyboard/VDU screen, and can behave anyway they choose to upset others

I think the term known is "Troll"

Do not feed the "Troll" anymore {thumbs up}

Regards

Kathy and Dave