help! my neighbours are trying to kill my garden birds!

My neighbours have started putting out dried rice right next to the fence that divides our properties.I have feeders and tables in my garden, and get a good variety of birds. Unfortunatley, because I live in a city, it attracts some pigeons (5 or 6 hang around most of the day) and while I try to stop the pigeons from using the feeders and bird table, there is nothing I can do about them picking up the food the other birds drop. I think this has annoyed them (although they have never said anything to me about it) What do you suggest I do? should I stop feeding them? 

please help, I'm very upset!

Rhiannon.

• So this is what they are wasting our council tax on! What a disgrace!.

It seems that local councils are getting more involved in these sorts of issues for example did anyone hear about Norfolk CC who seemed to want to cut down Horse Chestnut trees because of the conkers?

But on the other hand I can see whats bought this about and its the sort of person who threatens to sue over just about everything. I worked for a big charity and we actually had a man phone us and threaten to sue because he walked into a low branch and cut himself! During this windy weather the National Trust have put up notices asking people not to linger under trees. Again this is because of the public's thirst for taking legal action .The council are probably worried that your neighbours are going to persue such a course.

I assume that they must have some sort of wildlife adviser on the council  ?

• Hi AnnaBanana

I've just read your reply to the person who had been told by the council to take down bird feeders - and I agree with everything you said. Humans are destroying this beautiful planet - the only thing that seems to matter is development , industry and the economy. So few people care enough -it is breaking my heart. I do my very best to help wildlife and nature where I live - but it is an uphill struggle.

Best wishes   cjbeady

Unknown said:

This disgusts me. I'm sick of the human race, people seem to think that we have a divine right to do what we want at the expense of all other living things on the planet, and woe betide anything should put a "dampener" on our right have a free reign over everything. Birds and in fact most animals have populated the planet for a hell of a lot longer than human beings and therefore have more of a right to a free and undisturbed life than we do yet people still think they can lord it over the rest of natural kingdom.  How can a few birds in someone's garden constitute noise disturbance? I absolutely adore waking up to hear the birds, whatever they are doing and whatever noise they are making - it means they're still alive and thriving. If people want their precious cars to stay clean then car covers come at ten a penny these days, and I'm sorry dear council but wherever there is a built up area there is bound to be so-called "vermin", people make just as much waste without feeding birds and I doubt very much that forcing one person to feed the birds less is going to make any kind of difference.

They should be thanking you for caring for wildlife, not punishing you. I would be absolutely blind with rage if they dared to stop me from feeding the birds.

• Hi, 

I've just been reading about what's been going on.  So sorry to hear it!  People can just be vile and ignorant at times when there really is no need.

I just wondered how the situation was now?

• Anonymous
    0 Anonymous 23/12/2009 03:34

Hi Rhiannon,

When I was in my student house I had window feeders on my bedroom window, it didn't harbour pigeons or rats but small birds would come. I do think this is just a snipe & neighbours are bitter about the house being let to students. My neighbours eventually came round to the idea that they could have worst student neighbours than us when we helped them out during a flood. So maybe there's hope. Good Luck!

• I'm really sorry to hear about your small minded neighbours. I agree that your bird feeding was only an excuse. Idiots. Anyway I got a surprise today, I only have small garden but put out a lot of hanging feeders etc. Can you imagine my delight when a robin landed on my peanut feeder and stayed there for at least five minutes even though I had put seed on top of the snow underneath, I was really thrilled as I have never seen robins feed from hanging feeders before. So maybe your wee robin will come back.

'I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself'.

• After reading this forum and this post, one thing has become clear and thats a lot of you people simply dont get the connection between feeding birds and vermin. So, as a pest controller for a local authority, let me set the letter straight!!!

Bird feeding IS the single biggest cause of vermin infestations in the country. FACT.

The council have a statuatory duty to ensure that areas are, as far is as practicable, vermin free.

If you feed birds and dont ever see rats it does not mean there are not rats in the area. Rats need 3 things, food, shelter and water and they will travel considerable distances to get them. So you feed the birds, there is your food, your neightbour has a pond, there is a water supply and your other neighbour has a shed, there is shelter. Or perhaps everything a rat needs is in your garden.

So, as you can see, just becasue you dont see rats it doesnt mean you dont have them. THIS is the issue, its the blinkered attitude and a sort of "Well, i dont have rats so ill carry on feeding birds" mentality. Well, gee, thanks. Because of your bird feeding, i have rats under my shed, leaving faeces and urine which are potentially infected with leptospirosis, salmonella and other unpleasant diseases that MY children might catch becasue they play in the garden which harbours rats because a neighbour feeds the birds. Yeah, thanks for that. Not to mention the 4 ton of pigeon guanao all over my patio/car/drive etc.

We always try to educate people in HOW to feed birds properly and with due consideration to neighbours. Theres NO law about feeding the birds, unless, by doing so, you cause nuisance for neighbours and as every local authority has a duty to eradicate vermin, this is why enforcement notices are served.To persistant "offenders". In these rare causes we can and have taken legal action to stop people indiscriminately feeding birds. Frankly, some of you lot need a kick up your collective backsides. Come out with me for a day and see the distress rats in houses cause. Especially when the owner of the property runs a tight ship and doesnt do anything to attract vermin.

So, what can YOU do to limit the problem of vermin being attracted to your or a neighbours property by the action of feeding the birds.

1. DO NOT thrown food onto the lawn, bread, seeds, toast, anything.

2. Use caged peanut feeders and / or fat balls.

3.Use a bird table with no more than half a small cup of food at a time. Once that has been eaten, replenish it.

DO NOT ALLOW FOOD TO SPILL ON THE FLOOR

By following these simple steps you will keep your gardens full of birds and relatively free of rodents.

Flame on...

• cornz said:

After reading this forum and this post, one thing has become clear and thats a lot of you people simply dont get the connection between feeding birds and vermin. So, as a pest controller for a local authority, let me set the letter straight!!!

Bird feeding IS the single biggest cause of vermin infestations in the country. FACT.

The council have a statuatory duty to ensure that areas are, as far is as practicable, vermin free.

If you feed birds and dont ever see rats it does not mean there are not rats in the area. Rats need 3 things, food, shelter and water and they will travel considerable distances to get them. So you feed the birds, there is your food, your neightbour has a pond, there is a water supply and your other neighbour has a shed, there is shelter. Or perhaps everything a rat needs is in your garden.

So, as you can see, just becasue you dont see rats it doesnt mean you dont have them. THIS is the issue, its the blinkered attitude and a sort of "Well, i dont have rats so ill carry on feeding birds" mentality. Well, gee, thanks. Because of your bird feeding, i have rats under my shed, leaving faeces and urine which are potentially infected with leptospirosis, salmonella and other unpleasant diseases that MY children might catch becasue they play in the garden which harbours rats because a neighbour feeds the birds. Yeah, thanks for that. Not to mention the 4 ton of pigeon guanao all over my patio/car/drive etc.

We always try to educate people in HOW to feed birds properly and with due consideration to neighbours. Theres NO law about feeding the birds, unless, by doing so, you cause nuisance for neighbours and as every local authority has a duty to eradicate vermin, this is why enforcement notices are served.To persistant "offenders". In these rare causes we can and have taken legal action to stop people indiscriminately feeding birds. Frankly, some of you lot need a kick up your collective backsides. Come out with me for a day and see the distress rats in houses cause. Especially when the owner of the property runs a tight ship and doesnt do anything to attract vermin.

So, what can YOU do to limit the problem of vermin being attracted to your or a neighbours property by the action of feeding the birds.

1. DO NOT thrown food onto the lawn, bread, seeds, toast, anything.

2. Use caged peanut feeders and / or fat balls.

3.Use a bird table with no more than half a small cup of food at a time. Once that has been eaten, replenish it.

DO NOT ALLOW FOOD TO SPILL ON THE FLOOR

By following these simple steps you will keep your gardens full of birds and relatively free of rodents.

Flame on...

You signed up just to be rude? Wow. Also, you know absolutely nothing about me, nothing about the way I feed my garden birds.  I'm not going to justify myself to you,.   Anyway, this issue was resolved months ago, and I no longer have an issue with my neighbours. So there is no need to post again.

• Well said Peregrine.

If pest contollers can put a live rat on the ground and stamp on it till it dies, I have no sympathy whatsover

Cheers, Linda.

See my photos on Flickr

• Hear! Hear!

(personally I don't think there is such a thing as 'vermin', animals and birds are there to share the planet with us [those classed as such are mainly due to our dirty human race!], nor weeds - I love *all* plants!)

"All weeds are flowers, once you get to know them" (Eeyore)

My photos on Flickr

• No, i didnt sign up to be rude, i signed up to educate you and your kind whom have NO comprehension as to the ramifications of feeding birds. You'll be the first to change your attitude when you or a loved one is diagnosed with the "yellows". Or when you get a rat in the house. Feel free. Oh, and if you dont like my correct advice, dont heed it. Simple.