help! my neighbours are trying to kill my garden birds!

My neighbours have started putting out dried rice right next to the fence that divides our properties.I have feeders and tables in my garden, and get a good variety of birds. Unfortunatley, because I live in a city, it attracts some pigeons (5 or 6 hang around most of the day) and while I try to stop the pigeons from using the feeders and bird table, there is nothing I can do about them picking up the food the other birds drop. I think this has annoyed them (although they have never said anything to me about it) What do you suggest I do? should I stop feeding them? 

please help, I'm very upset!

Rhiannon.

• Perhaps he was suffering from cabin fever!! Lol!

"All weeds are flowers, once you get to know them" (Eeyore)

My photos on Flickr

• Rat population in the UK is believed to be increasing as a result of the succession of mild winters – it is estimated that there are around 60 million of them. Consequently, rats are indeed a regular sight in gardens. A number of varied factors attract rats to gardens, including shelter, nesting sites and as mentioned food. Once rats are there, they will of course eat birdfood, although only in rare instances (excessive feeding with quantities of bread in particular left on the ground overnight) does the bird feeding itself attract rats.

When council pest controllers are called in to deal with a rat problem, they often take a heavy approach, blame the house holder for the problem because they feed birds, and demand all bird feeding is stopped. In many instances this is not necessary, and the RSPB is keen to try and keep the whole issue in proportion. Some pest controllers often come up with suggestions that peanuts contain an antidote to the poison or other such ideas to justify their stance. So far, we have found no scientific evidence that this would be the case; in fact, peanuts are low in vitamin K, not high as pest controllers claim. However, since access to birdfood can reduce the amount of bait the rats may consume, it is a good idea to prevent their access to birdfood, or stop feeding whilst rat control is being carried out.

There is a legal requirement to control rats under the Prevention of Damage by Pests Act 1949, because of the recognised public health risk they cause. For instance, 15-30% of UK rat population are suspected to carry the potentially lethal leptospirosis or Weils Disease, which is transmitted by urine contamination. Consequently, rat control can be imposed on a householder, although there are many choices on how it is done. Rat control is usually carried out using poison bait such as warfarin or difenacoum, which must be set in a box or a tube or otherwise in such a way that it is only likely to be discovered by rats, but which minimises the risk of other animals accessing the bait. Scattering the rat poison on the ground so that it is freely available to any passing creature is strictly illegal, and any one doing so should be reported to the police Wildlife Crime Officer and/or Poison Hotline 0800-321-600 as a matter of urgency. Alternatively, a live trap (obtainable from a number of companies that sell deterrents, pest control equipment or gardening supplies) with a non-poisonous bait can be set, with the trapped rats subsequently dispatched in an appropriate way. Chocolate and peanut butter is one of the successful baits tried. This is a good alternative for those who cannot or don’t want to use poisons. An organic rat killer, which is supposed to be safe for other wildlife, is also available through garden centres.

• What a carry on!  *rolls eyes*

Blackbird, I too have never had feral pigeons in the garden.  But your idea and advice is certainly very interesting - and great that it worked!

•  I

Nicki C said:

Hi Rhainnion

So sorry that you have has this inflicted your enjoyment of birds. Some people are so ignorant of wildlife and have no compassion whatsoever about birds.  Jealousy rules in this case.  People see pigeons, as pigeons and not the species at all.

Touch wood I have never had any problems with Ferel pigeons on my feeders at all.

Woodpigeons, Stock Doves and Collared doves are the only three types of pigeons I have seen on my feeders

Believe you me, I have moved a "lot" over the years.  Stayed at all all types of areas and houses from isolated farms up to built up areas.  So my own knowledge of birds on feeders is extreme.

Feral pigeons have "NEVER" been an issue with me at all and I have "NEVER" seen them around my feeders.

From my own knowlege, I know a bird lover who had a problem neighbour who insisted that the bird feeders attracted Feral pigeons.  The Feral Pigeons pooed all over the complainants window sills and that caused a lot of problems for this bird lover friend.

Complaints where sent to the council, and the housing association to create a load of grief for the bird lover {sad for her}

My suggestion was to place a Pigeon deterrant on the window sill so the Feral pigeons felt they 'stuck' on the window sill.  In truth it was a bird friendly made product to stop the Ferral pigeons from landing on the window sills and it kept them away form the buildings.

That resolved the isses for the bird lover and all was resolved - over and done with  {thank goodness}

Rhainnon in your case the people are vindictive, and they are malicious.  They are wrong doing what they are doing.  I would feel inclined to ring up the SSPCA /RSPB and ask advice what to do, and try to get evidence of what these people are doing to the local wildlife.

Please take no notice of people who try to upset you on this thread.

Regards

Kathy and Dave

Thank you Blackbird. As I said, this issue has been resolved, and I no longer have any conflict with my neighbours, and feed my birds (as I have always tried to do so) safely and responsibly. everything is just fine.  I actually have pretty severe mental health issues, that have been rather debilitating in the past, and it is my love of wildlife, and the birds in my garden that have brought me through the toughest of times. Watching them gives me no end of pleasure even in times when I have been at my lowest. Through voluntary work with the RSPB I have found friendship and confidence,  and through conservation societies in university I have met like-minded people, and I can now lead a fulfilling, happy life. Birds have changed my life, and I will not allow anyone to dissallow my enjoyment of them. Especially some random person on a messageboard.

Rhiannon

• Anonymous
    0 Anonymous 13/01/2010 23:33 in reply to PeregrineRhi

Hi Rhiannon

Thank your reply, and I am glad that you have sorted out the issues.  It gives people information/hope about things that may crop up that become very upsetting like your issue with your neighbour.  It simply gives people hope to sort out issues before they get out of hand as they do at times.

Sorry to hear that you have mental health issues  Great news that have found yourself once more with the RSPB, and long may it continue for you.

Yes, it is knowing people who are likeminded on Forums.  Sometimes people go onto messageboards to be a problems to others.

In real life they would not behave the same way as they are not hiding behind a VDU/keyboard and they would not have a leg to stand on in the real world.  They are pathetic cowards to be honest.  No friends and no life - they are friendless that is a coward for you

At least we know better and as you say do not let them spoil what you enjoy about your life.

Regards

Kathy and Dave

• Anonymous
    0 Anonymous 13/01/2010 23:35 in reply to Anonymous

hi Lloyd

Very informative answer about vermin and unwanted wildlife in our lives.

Gives us the true problem in itself now

Regards

Kathy and Dave

• Hi Rhiannon, I hope you have managed to get to the countryside? GrinAlthough i find country folk even more intolerant of wildlife...strangely.  You should have taken some of the rice and asked the police to check it. If theres poison in it, its a criminal offence.  Grin anyone thinking they can poison birds or feed them food designed to make them ill..can be prosecuted. Grin Get photos next time when you see anyone putting down anything suspicious. What i laugh at, are those complainers with CARS...who dont like the odd bird poop on their gawdy ,ugly lumps of POLLUTING metal on wheels  Grinbut ALL of us that use BICYCLES  and the wildlife are supposed to just tolerate all the polluted air their cars create? They are SELFISH HYPOCRITES with double standards, and are petty and a bit thick.!  We are needed to Grin help birds thrive...all wildlife is in decline. And councils who send these letters out..while  claiming they want people to encourage  biodiversity in their gardens..simply do the opposite Grin  by listening to intolerant persistant complainers...and are forever telling us to keep our lawns short and shrubs at knee height...its a load of rubbish. Thats not a  NATURAL environment  for birds, insects  or any n other wildlife , at all... So councils need to cease taking notiice of these people , who complain about bird poop on their cars..because its their CAR thats the ISSUE..not the birds poop. Grin birds poop is organic..and the CAR is NOT. So when will council see sense and stop pandering to whinging idiots, with nothing better to do that moan about a bird in the garden! Without insects we Grinwe no FOOD...withouts BIRDS..we would have swarms of insects..the birds control the insects...Nature keeps a healthy balance ! Grin