Swallow attacks!

We live in mid-Cornwall and the swallows arrived about a week ago.  During the last two days the swallows have started to divebomb us on our field making very loud chirping noises!  It is actually very intimidating.  I am fearful for my two small children and do not wish to endure this for the whole summer.  Last year the swallows only showed this behaviour when they had chicks in their nest.  I cannot believe that they are nesting already after only one week!  Any suggestions?

• margaret w said:

Two years ago we started to renovate our barn where they had nested.  So they had to relocate last year to the outbuilding.  I wonder if they are still cross about that?

Hi Gemmachick

No they won't still be cross about that. Swallows don't have a big enough brain to bear grudges

[/quote]

Oh come on.  You think swallows don't have big enough brains, well tell me does your "big" brain help you to navigate all the way to Africa and back every year.  I think all birds are cleverer than us mere humans, we just haven't got big enough brains to realise it...

[/quote]

Hiya mags, nothing wrong with differing opinions, but there is no call for a personal attack.

It's both what you do and the way that you do it!

You cannot fly like an eagle with the wings of a wren.
    William Henry Hudson (1841 - 1922)

• mpiekp said:
    Hiya mags, nothing wrong with differing opinions, but there is no call for a personal attack.

Sorry, I didn't mean it as a personal attack, just  a general observation.  I really do believe that all wildlife are cleverer than us humans.  Sorry again if you felt it was personal.

• I was thinking about this yesterday when watching our local Sand Martins feeding very close to me.I tried to imagine what it would be like as a small child (a bit hard for a sixty odd year old bloke like me)having these birds fly so close and come to the conclusion that it may be a bit intimidating for a  little one.From this thinking I can understand the original posters worries even though folks like us say no need to worry,just another view of the thread.

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• Hi we live in Kent on a new housing estate and a set of swallows recently nested in the rafters of a 'no door garage'. Over the weekend the nest fell and a few swallows (or whatever species) are circling around the nest and dive bombing directly at anyone that heads to the garage. We have 2 small children and this is getting very intimidating for them. How long will this continue and is there anything we can use that will humanely prevent this aggressive behaviour.
  • The nest was all but destroyed when it fell....there is nothing to put back up
  • Nothing to be honest Rob - it was just a lot of mud. However, there had been chicks in the nest because you could see them and about 3 weeks ago, one had fallen out of the nest to the floor and perished. So they were beyond hatching but they had not fled the nest. I suspect the chicks must have fled because there were none on the floor and there were no broken eggs. But this morning there was one particularly 'angry' swallow circling round the front of he houses then dive bombing at the garage as i was loading the car and it followed me back to our front door and continued the same...