Swallow attacks!

We live in mid-Cornwall and the swallows arrived about a week ago.  During the last two days the swallows have started to divebomb us on our field making very loud chirping noises!  It is actually very intimidating.  I am fearful for my two small children and do not wish to endure this for the whole summer.  Last year the swallows only showed this behaviour when they had chicks in their nest.  I cannot believe that they are nesting already after only one week!  Any suggestions?

• Unknown said:

Its called whisky  LOL

mines a double Ray

• Never seen swallows dive bomb but have seen house martins do it. A few years ago they nested on my house and they used to dive bomb the window cleaner. It quite unnerved him.

Regards

Stephen.

• When I worked at the garage full time I had a pair nesting above my head  on the beams and the light rose.

Came in one morning to be dive bombed by one of the adults glad I wasnt half asleep at the time but that was the only time it happened  and there have been nesting swallows there for years.

Was there Thursday and they were zooming in and out chirpping at each other.

Chris S.

• Hi Gemmachick,

Even if the swallows do get so close to your children that they're a bit afraid, it won't hurt much even if there's a collision.

Swallows, swifts and martins have soft, short bills because they're adapted for catching flies, and the birds are very very light. You shouldn't worry about potential injury.

They're marvellous birds and it's great to have them around you.

:-)

Andy

• Hi Gemmachick

I don't think that the Swallows are deliberately trying to initmidate you, and I don't believe that they are trying to hurt you either. So I wouldn't worry about them too much and just enjoy the fact that in your particular field they swoop lower so that you can get a much better view of them than many other people do.

• I remember one year when the swallows started trying to nest in my mothers shed.  She didn't want this so she closed the door.  From then on when she went out in the yard the swallows dive-bombed her.  Stranger still was that she was the only one they attacked and they did the same thing when they returned the following year.  Has any of your family done anything that my have caused them an upset, I mean unintentionally

• Yes I think that the swallows have remembered us from last year.  They have only just started to nest again in an outbuilding at the corner of our field.  Every time we walk past to access the vegetable patch or feed our pet rabbits they spot us and deliberately swoop low over our heads.  They are not just hawking insects, it is a deliberate, calculated manoeuvre!  Two years ago we started to renovate our barn where they had nested.  So they had to relocate last year to the outbuilding.  I wonder if they are still cross about that?

• Gemmachick said:
    Two years ago we started to renovate our barn where they had nested.  So they had to relocate last year to the outbuilding.  I wonder if they are still cross about that?

Hi Gemmachick

No they won't still be cross about that. Swallows don't have a big enough brain to bear grudges

• Woodpecker said:

Two years ago we started to renovate our barn where they had nested.  So they had to relocate last year to the outbuilding.  I wonder if they are still cross about that?

Hi Gemmachick

No they won't still be cross about that. Swallows don't have a big enough brain to bear grudges

[/quote]

Oh come on.  You think swallows don't have big enough brains, well tell me does your "big" brain help you to navigate all the way to Africa and back every year.  I think all birds are cleverer than us mere humans, we just haven't got big enough brains to realise it...

•  Hi Gemmachick,

I really do believe that the swallows remember you for causing them to relocate.  Hopefully they'll forget soon or at least the next generation wont remember :)