Birds attacking window seal?

We had some large sliding glass doors fitted last year (great for bird-watching) but the rubber seal on the central door has torn at the bottom externally. None of the other external seals have been affected. The window company's response is that this is due to birds pecking at the seal. I have heard of this in crows but have not noticed any aggressive behaviour from birds in my garden (they tend to stay away from the patio area outside the doors) and am surprised that no other seals have been affected. This is the seal that receives the heaviest wear. Is this likely behaviour from birds in my garden without the other seals being affected?

• Unknown said:
    The window company's response is that this is due to birds pecking at the seal.

Welcome to the forum.

I think they are trying to get away with not replacing what is clearly a product not tough enough to do the job properly.

CJ

• we are having a similar problem with  crows, the are pecking at all the rubber on our windows, it is very frightening for my young daughter. they are also taking the rubber from our windscreen wipers we have had to replace 3 in the last couple of months. its happening to all our neighbours. environmental health say they can do nothing about it, We are looking for an idea to stop them as it is driving us all mad,

• I've heard of two possible explanations ... the reflection in the window is perceived as hostile and hence they attack!, the second is that there is some sort of mineral in the rubber seals which is in some way attractive to them (I am dubious about this). You do seem to have a real problem with this and again I have heard about people using model cats etc. in attempt to frighten the crows away. However, if the problem is so widespread I don't know how well this would work. Could a cut out be placed in the affected windows to frighten away?

It is however, another reason I remain sceptical that this is the problem we are having as it is only one of my glass sliding doors affected, no windows, cars or neighbours. As with your account I'd expect it to be more widespread.

• CJ, I'm inclined to agree as I'm not having a widespread problem akin to tinat's account.

• Hi Gregs,

Birds may well be trying to peck at insects around these seals, if this is the case, I would recommend brushing the window frame with a compound containing aluminium ammonium sulphate, it is a distasteful compound and may help to break this habit.

If birds are reacting to their own reflection in the doors and windows, the only way to stop this behaviour is to remove the trigger – the reflection. This means putting something such as cling film or non-reflective cellophane on the outside of the window. Once the reflection has disappeared, the attacks should stop.

Hope this helps!

Claire

• Thanks Claire, where can you buy  aluminium ammonium sulphate? will let you all know if this works. thanks for all the advice

Jennifer T said:

Hi Gregs,

Birds may well be trying to peck at insects around these seals, if this is the case, I would recommend brushing the window frame with a compound containing aluminium ammonium sulphate, it is a distasteful compound and may help to break this habit.

If birds are reacting to their own reflection in the doors and windows, the only way to stop this behaviour is to remove the trigger – the reflection. This means putting something such as cling film or non-reflective cellophane on the outside of the window. Once the reflection has disappeared, the attacks should stop.

Hope this helps!

Claire