Dead Kestrel in garden

I found a dead Kestrel in the middle of my garden this week.  It was on its back with its wings spread and had no obvious signs of attach ie no blood or puncture marks.  Any ideas of what may have happened?

• Any number of things could have happened - cold, starvation, collision, shock....birds die all the time from many different things.

Millie & Fly the Border Collies

• Hi Wob and welcome to the fourms

Thats real sad about the kestrel  Im sorry to hear it .

2 things I can think of is  ..

1 Old age

2 It has hit a window  while chasing prey

Cheers

AL

If its no fun Yer no doin it right!

• Anonymous
    Anonymous

Have you any overhead wires, also has the bird got any rings on its legs. best regards mac

• In reply to Anonymous:

I am fairly sure there is somewhere u can take the bird to make sure it has not been the victim of illegal poisoning.

One of the kind folks on here may be able to help. I'm outta time now, as I have to go out!

Ant

"IT IS SAID THAT LIFE FLASHES BEFORE YOUR EYES BEFORE YOU DIE. THAT IS TRUE, IT'S CALLED LIVING."
    Death - Terry Pratchett (The Last Continent).

• Anonymous
    Anonymous

In reply to Ponty Cyclops:

Ponty Cyclops said:

I am fairly sure there is somewhere u can take the bird to make sure it has not been the victim of illegal poisoning.

One of the kind folks on here may be able to help. I'm outta time now, as I have to go out!

Ant

this only applies to schedule 1 birds, it is more likely to have flown into window, as already said. best regards mac

• I found a dead Kestrel in my rain barrel that sits in the middle of my large garden this week. It was on it's stomach with wings open floating on the water about a foot from the top of the barrel. Any ideas of what may have happened? It was not anywhere near a window or any obstructions (in the wide open farmland). No obvious signs of attack. It was juvenile. There are still 2 more hanging around.
  • It drowned as it couldn't get out. Young don't recognise the danger of water. It probably perched on the side and step in. I had a young dunnock manage to do similar with a bucket of water I left out one Summer to collect rainwater for the garden. For permanent rain collection, like water butts, a lid is needed as all sorts drown incl bees.