Puffy Pigeon

Hi

There is a puffy pigeon sitting in my garden and it looks sick. Does anyone know what could be wrong with it or what I can do to help?

jane 

• It does look very unwell. Do you have access to either a wildlife centre or vets that deal with wildlife? Handle with care and take precautions for yourself by wearing rubber gloves if you are going to pick it up. Be prepared for it being beyond help.

Cin J

• Hi Jane,

That's a juvenile Wood Pigeon. Check www.helpwildlife.co.uk and see if there is a pigeon friendly rescue near to you. I would advise against taking it to a vet. If the bird lets you pick it up then it certainly is poorly (the photo suggests it is unwell). Keep it in a lidded box, preferably with a piece of cloth or towel at the bottom to give the bird something to cling to and also to offer insulation. A dish of water would help too. Keeping the bird warm and hydrated is key.

Good luck

Unicum arbustum haud alit duos erithacos

(One bush does not shelter two Robins)

Zenodotus (3rd Century B.C.)

• Hi
    How’s he doing? Honey and water put into his mouth will help and keep him warm can recover but will take some time.
    If you know a vet you can trust with birds then when he’s strong have him checked over.
    Not the rcpca they don’t have time for birds.

Where are you based?
  • Please don't put anything into its mouth. Allow the bird to drink for itself.

• I agree with Paul I would be very cautious about putting anything like a fluid in a birds mouth for fear of drowning/suffocating it.

My Flickr photos

• If you want to add anything to the water, then use Dioralyte. Try an unflavoured variety if you can find it. I sometimes use this if I am out and about and I find a dehydrated pigeon (I rescue pigeons). Just put the water in a small deep dish, such as a glass ramekin and allow the bird to drink for itself.

• Hi Again
    Tiny bit of honey in water put into the birds mouth is fine because if he is weak he won’t drink water in the dish.
    We do this sometimes for quick energy. We rescue all birds and have seen them like this.

If you know a nice vet then ask them to check him over only if you trust the vet.
    The bird can recover but will take time love and care.

Hope that helps!
  • If you e-mail  advice@helpwildlife.co.uk they will talk you through what you can do for this pidge