Dead swallow babies

I have had swallows nesting in a stable block for many years, always very productive. This year I have 3 separate nests in 3 separate stables. One nest had 3 young and the others had 2 in each. All was going well and they appeared almost ready to fledge. However, I arrived at the stables yesterday morning and every single baby was dead on the floor under each of the nests. There was no sign of any marking on them and I use no pesticides etc...It hasn't been that warm, indeed other years have been far hotter and this hasn't happened before. The adults would seem to be ok. I was obviously very upset. Any ideas at all why this has happened? Anything like this happened elsewhere?

• Nicki C said:

Hi Swallow

Both situations are very sad from Daz and yourself.  Do you stay at the same neck of the woods - by chance?

So it was a food related things.  Wonder why there was an insect shortage for the chicks?

The only thing you can hope that the same thing does not happen next year.

The last winter was harsh, longer than usual, and very cold

The recent weahter ever so dry and hot so I wonder if that led to the Swallows downfall.

Just part of mother Nature once more {sad}

Regards

Kathy and Dave

Well I'm just outside Chelmsford in Essex.  And the starving bit does seem a little strange especially as it affected them all over a two day period.  A cold snap would make a lot more sense, but  mine are very well sheltered inside the stables.

As you say, these sort of things happen, but it is never nice

Dave

• Thanks Blackbird,

I'm in very rural Wiltshire, wonder whether Daz is in a similar location. I thought it was so lovely for the migrants to have a decent summer at last, but perhaps, as you say, it has been too dry, not great for supply of insects. We are still without rain in our part of Wiltshire - around 10 weeks now. It started drizzling a little this morning, but came to nothing. It has been fabulous for us, after the last awful summers, but perhaps not so good for our feathered friends. Blackbirds, thrushes, robins etc must also have found feeding young nigh on impossible as the grass is brown and the ground like iron. Perhaps Mother Nature can get it spot on this coming season!

Regards, Jo

• Both in the south I suppose and I gather Essex has been just as dry as here. Still, it all seems very odd, as you say a cold spell would explain or even a very hot spell may lead to overheating, but our stables are stone under tiles and the nests are lower down than the roof. Hey ho, nature is indeed cruel.

Regards, Jo

• Hi Swallow

My sympathies to you. I have had swallows nest  at my home for many years (but strangely not this year) and although I have had broods die all together on one day during periods of bad weather - cold and heavy rain etc they have always been found dead in the nest and not out of it. I am wondering if a lone male swallow has turfed them all out of their nests in one go as unpaired male birds are prone to infanticide. Perhaps the PM results will tell us more. I feel for you anyway - they are wonderful birds and I know us 'owners' get very attached.

Love CJ

• Tch MEN ! Didn't realise lone male swallows were so 'wicked'. Bet lone females don't go on such sprees....Just typical...

Regards, Jo.

• I have seen something exactly the same at one of my friends home.She has had two nests on her back wal and one in her front,same as every year before.So far all babies have died.I just went out on her back patio to find two more babies dead on the ground!
  • I too just experienced 6 dead baby
    swallows. I actually thought they left when I didn't hear them anymore and I didn't see the parents feeding them. I have a house that has been the home for a swallow family for years with great success, until this year. So we don't spray, but we're surrounded by farmers that do. This year they planted winter wheat for the first time in 6 years, that's the only thing that's different so I don't know if the spray is different. I believe the babies were poisoned. Any help with this is greatly appreciated. I'm just heart broken.