Cutting down trees with nests in them :(

I am not sure if this has been asked before so apologies if it has.

One of my neighbours is arranging for a tree surgeon to come and cut down all the beautiful trees in his garden and none of my other neighbours are happy about it and he was rather rude to one of my neighbours.

Problem is I know there is a blackbird nest in one of them (they are constantly fighting a magpie off) and we thinks there is a nest in another tree of a smaller bird.

Is there anything we can do to prevent him cutting them down before the babies fly off - or is this something the tree surgeon will not do until then?

Any help would be great.  Thanks

• Any tree surgeon worth his salt would not cut trees down with nests in - its illegal. But there are always the cowboys who don't care anyway. Try your local council wildlife conservation section if you have one or contact a local wildlife trust. He should wait until the the chicks have fledged and left the nest

Of all creatures, man is the most detestable, he is the only creature that inflicts pain for sport, knowing it to be pain.
    ~ Mark Twain

• Hi Kraftykitten, welcome to the forum.

The Wildlife & Countryside Act 1981 is one of the most important pieces of Wildlife legislation in this country.

It states it is an offence to...

Intentionally kill, injure or take any wild bird

Intentionally take, damage or destroy the nest of any wild bird
    while that nest is in use or being built

Intentionally take or destroy an egg of any wild bird

The following link will give you all the advice you need.

http://www.ecotreecare.co.uk/wildlife-conservation.htm

I would politely point this out to the neighbour and any tree surgeons that arrive. I would make it very clear of the offences which will be committed if there is confirmed nesting birds.

Ideally note the species and tree which is been used, photographic evidence would support your claims if possible. This must be done without upsetting landowners and putting yourself at risk.

I would also discreetly note down the Company Name and Vehicle Reg numbers of any persons that arrive to carry out any work, whilst there is nesting birds.

These can then be forwarded to the local wildlife protection team, if you wish to persue it.

Regards Buzzard

Nature Is Amazing - Let Us Keep It That Way

• That's great - thank you both so much - this truly helps.  I feed the birds in my garden and am new to all this.  This information truly helps.  Thank you! :)