Annoying neighbour.

Have joined today hoping for info on anti bird scarer's ??. For yonk years have enjoyed lots of bird varieties in the garden. Recently, an immediate neighbour died, and the "gentleman" who has moved in has installed some electronic gadget which has scared the majority of the birds.. only get the occasional goldfinch / greenfinch, but the vast majority have gone. Is there any sort of contraption to cancel out these devices?. I'm trying to keep birds interested with sunflower hearts and bread on the lawn.. at least, the woodies and maggies don't seem to be effected.
  • I don't think I've come across such a thing before - is it meant to scare the birds do you know?  The only sort of thing like that I've come across are the electronic cat scarers, though I'm not aware they'd frighten the birds as well....

___

Find me on Flickr / All about your camera - The Getting off Auto Index

• Have you approached the new neighbour to ask what he is trying to deter? Some electronic devices deter a number of animals, including birds. Perhaps if he is only intending to deter cats, he may not be aware he has a 'multi' scarer. A polite word may result in a different deterrent, which is less likely to upset the birds. Keep us posted plz.

Take care all, Stich.

My gallery Here  Flickr Here    

• Thanks to you both.  I have had 'words' with this guy.. he is adamant that the bird noise that comes from my garden wakes them etc.  l agree that the pigeons are a bit noisy, and the magpies don't help.. but we live in a village.. never had complaints before.  l gather from another neighbour that he has paid quite a lot for the contraption, and it's a bird scarer.   l suppose l could feel consolation that he's saving me quite a bit of money.. but l am to say the least "most annoyed".  l had hopes that maybe someone on the RSPB site might have known of a "muffler" gadget, surely l can't be the only one with such a neighbour.    Thanks again folk.

• Theoretically it could be done.  Assuming it's a sound of course.  If you produced an identical soundwave, but inverted, it would cancel the original sound out.  Some car manufacturers have experimented with such noise cancelling technology in cars and you even get it in some headphones.  The problem would be that the effect could only be done in a small area - in other areas nearby you might make the problem worse, actually doubling the volume.

The fact that some birds are not affected leads me to think that all the others may well get habituated to it in coming weeks and your neighbour's expense will have been in vain

___

• Why on earth did your neighbour move into a village?  It sounds as though he'd be more suited to the middle of a city if he objects to birdsong that strongly.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Thanks folk.  Whistling Joe, l learn from other sites that to cancel his contraption l have to know the "oscilation..??" - (sound-wave).. sounds very complicated. (pun). However, l've been advised that birds will slowly do get used to the noise, but l have to be sure that their food is always available.. fingers crossed.

Clare.. l have already suggested that he would be better about 3/4 high in a city tower block - didn't take too kindly to that.

Thanks again folk.

• Reminiscent of my neighbours here RS - I live in a chalk quarry which is surrounded by scrub, shrubs, climbers & trees & is a birdsing paradise & have nesting Kestrels too.  Naturally I feed the birds in my garden (have done for the last 4 years).  We are surrounded by birdsong & activity of all kinds - about a zillion sparrows & other little birds as well as many Woodies, Magpies, Collared Doves, Carrion Crows & Rooks & occasionally Jays!   This year there was a natural explosion in the Woodie population & they visited every house roof atarting at five in the morning & yes, they are noisy, but only doing what comes naturally!  This summer my immediate neighbour decides to complain (spurred on by two or three others) about the number of birds in my garden (he has recently retired & has the time to be obnoxious) - I immediately reduced the number of feeders & only had them attached to my property but he still reported me to the Landlords & there was much aggro (he is a nasty man when he wants to be)!!  However, I was told that I could not be prevented from feeding my birds, merely to keep it in proportion.  It was very upsetting at the time, watching all his puny efforts at keeping the Woodies off his roof (lots of netting & bright whirly things suspended from his TV aerial) & listening to him constantly clapping & shouting to frighten the birds away from my feeders but I continued to ignore him & he seems to have tired of it.  But I feel under constant scrutiny & he has robbed me of much enjoyment but I will not give in!  So why does he continue to live here if he hates wildlife so much (he was the one who put much rat poison down & I believe that my female Kestrel was killed because of it!)  Be glad if he were to move as we no longer talk & it's a strain at times.

Hope your birds return soon!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Firstly Wendy - if you suspect wildlife is killed by poison being used inappropriately please call the poison hotline to report the incident 0800 321600. At poison intended for rats should be tucked away in bait chambers away from areas where other wildlife can access it.

As for audio bird scaring, distress calls are often used, as are loud bangs, as for ultrasonic devices such as those like the CatWatch birds have a similar hearing range to us so if they can hear it we should also be able to. Did you find out what sort of device is being used? My opinion is that most birds should get used to it in time.

Warden Intern at Otmoor.

• Hello IanH.  The contraption apparently is a rather expensive audio thingy.. l cannot hear it - except when l am using skype on my phone, it makes a shrill wavering screech..  moving  40 - 50 feet away it slowly diminishes.     l am hoping that my birds do get used to it.. maybe a little later on when natural food is a bit scarcer - but no option but to wait and see.

My thanks to one and all for your replies.. l will come back in a  couple of months hopefully with good news..... meantime, with the cash l'm saving l shall indulge in a couple of extra bottles of a fine Red Rioja.

• Interesting, if it's ultrasonic (which it sounds like) I wouldn't expect it to interfere in that manner with other equipment.  It may be that it is not intended for use in a domestic environment.  Shame we don't know make and model for some research!

___