Annoying neighbour.

Have joined today hoping for info on anti bird scarer's ??. For yonk years have enjoyed lots of bird varieties in the garden. Recently, an immediate neighbour died, and the "gentleman" who has moved in has installed some electronic gadget which has scared the majority of the birds.. only get the occasional goldfinch / greenfinch, but the vast majority have gone. Is there any sort of contraption to cancel out these devices?. I'm trying to keep birds interested with sunflower hearts and bread on the lawn.. at least, the woodies and maggies don't seem to be effected.
  • Suppose I moved in for a week or so?  I could treat your neighbour to some of my musical tastes.......Black Sabbath, Metallica, Megadeth, Iron Maiden........after a week he'll gladly accept the peace and quiet which birdsong offers!

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• If it is interfering with some of your phone you may have cause for complaint.A little while ago on of our neighbours was using one of the old illegal C.B.radios that interfered with our t.v. after trying to be nice about it to no avail a phone call to the Home Office on the advice of our local bobby got him a visit from a man in a suit and then no mote interference !!

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• Ian H - thanks for your advice but in this instance I have no real proof!  It's a surmise on my, & some others, part that because I have video footage of my Kestrels eating rats on at least two separate occasions at the time when we had quite a few around here & which were being offered poisoned bait by my neighbours, that I wondered if eating poisoned rats was responsible for the sudden disappearance of the parent birds which led to abandonment of remaining chick!  A male Kestrel has subsequently been visiting the quarry but impossible to say 100% it is the same one (no ID rings).  I assume that it is quite legal to put down rat poison but we all know that it does not work immediately so what's to stop them becoming dangerous food for predators?

PS:  This same neighbour now has a gun - some sort of rifle - saw him with it two days ago with propped up on his fence pointing out from his property!!  Did not fire it but I immediately looked up gun laws & am watching him like a hawk!!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Gleeful offer Clare.. no offence, but afraid l would move out of earshot first.

Hi Whistling Joe / Seaman.  Up to date, Skype is the only frequency effected, don't get problems anywhere else (phone calls, e-bay, u-tube, e-mail etc), nor does it have any effect on Skype using the laptop.. strange l agree.                                                  Cheers. Ray.

• LOL, Ray!  I've yet to have a difficult neighbour so have never tried out the 'loud' technique - probably just as well, really.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Clare Bailey said:
    Suppose I moved in for a week or so?  I could treat your neighbour to some of my musical tastes.......Black Sabbath, Metallica, Megadeth, Iron Maiden........after a week he'll gladly accept the peace and quiet which birdsong offers!

...unless the "peace and quiet which birdsong offers" was 'hatebeak' - a death metal band with an African Grey Parrot called Waldo, ummm, 'singing' the lead vocals!  ;o)

• LOL!!!!

• How absolutely miserable , RAY. I'd be devastated.

How about getting a recording of say, Osprey intruder alert calls or a Goshawk and putting the CD in your ghetto blaster on your lawn and letting rip periodically      :(

• How about encouraging a rookery?

"Birds are, quite simply, little miracles - and as such they require care and consideration."

Magnus Ullman

My Flickr account is here

• Ray if your pigeons wake him up what does the scarer do, surely that would be as bad, can I send you up to two adults and 4 Juve Magpies that come down at 1100hrs daily looking for unwanted dog food