Goose deaths

I live near Scarborough, where there is an attractive development called The Sands, which is built on the flight path followed by geese, ducks and swans between the lake at Peasholm Park and the sea.  The building looks good, sadly the end wall of Kepwick House is featureless and painted a pale, neutral colour.  Geese have been slamming into this wall for more than 3 years, mistaking it for sky.  The birds break their necks and fall to the ground, the wall is clearly peppered with indentations.  The local newspaper, The Scarborough News, has started a petition to call for "long overdue action to stop geese, swans and other wild birds from flying to their deaths at The Sands, North Bay, Scarborough.  Urgent preventive measures should be taken without further delay"  Read about this at www.scarboroughnews.co.uk  please add your voices to this campaign.

• Thanks for posting this Jean. It's interesting that they have not put any of the suggested solutions into practice given how long they have known about this issue and the sensible suggestions put forward by those involved with the campaign to put an end to this.

Given that the large beige wall blends with the sky, any contrast on the wall that would make it stand out from the sky should minimise collisions. I'm thinking a paint job would be best but flags could also work.

I saw the suggestion for the mural and thought a tree landscape may confuse other species, a bold pattern with some dominant colours would be far better, they could have painted a huge union flag for the jubilee!

Edit; Another approach could be some green/living wall technology or some trellis work with some native climbing flora planted up it!

Warden Intern at Otmoor.