Neighbour shooting wood pigeons with an air rifle

Are there any laws that I can be armed with when making a complaint to the police about a neighbour who kills wood pigeons. The poor birds sit in a large beech on the fence line of our properties, in an urban area of London (the neighbour attracts them in with bread) and are then targets for this man's air rifle. Apparently he cooks them to eat. Complaints have been made in the past but it has not detered him. Very often he only wounds and once the bird did not fall but was trapped by the branches until it was dealt with by crows.

• Plenty of threads on here covering the same subject.

As I understand it, he is not allowed to discharge a firearm of any description near your house.

Have a search down some of the message groups. It was discussed recently. Hope this helps. ;O)

Ant

"IT IS SAID THAT LIFE FLASHES BEFORE YOUR EYES BEFORE YOU DIE. THAT IS TRUE, IT'S CALLED LIVING."
    Death - Terry Pratchett (The Last Continent).

• Ring 999 I am sure it is illegal to discharge any type of firearm in a built up area.

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• I would have thought this as I think you need to have the gun in a bag covered somewhat if you are carrying it around.

I think the only way to shoot a bird is with a camara.

H

• It really annoys me that people do this... I would call 999 too.... after all how could you be 100% sure its an air rifle ;) (wink,nudge)... i'm sure that would deter him!!

Striving to be a better Photographer whilst looking after two young children... :0/

Owning a Nikon doesn't make you a photographer... it makes you a Nikon owner!

• Nicki said:

Are there any laws that I can be armed with when making a complaint to the police about a neighbour who kills wood pigeons. The poor birds sit in a large beech on the fence line of our properties, in an urban area of London (the neighbour attracts them in with bread) and are then targets for this man's air rifle. Apparently he cooks them to eat. Complaints have been made in the past but it has not detered him. Very often he only wounds and once the bird did not fall but was trapped by the branches until it was dealt with by crows.

Disgusting.Please ring the police or RSPB or anywhere that can help.

An optimist sees the beauty of the complete rose.A pessimist sees only the thorn .

• Unknown said:

It really annoys me that people do this... I would call 999 too.... after all how could you be 100% sure its an air rifle ;) (wink,nudge)... i'm sure that would deter him!!

I totally agree nicky  well you can't be certain in this day and age ;-)

Regards Kimbo

Feeling More Positive :-)

• Kim S said:

It really annoys me that people do this... I would call 999 too.... after all how could you be 100% sure its an air rifle ;) (wink,nudge)... i'm sure that would deter him!!

I totally agree nicky  well you can't be certain in this day and age ;-)

Regards Kimbo

[/quote]

Exactly and I'm sure a visit from the armed police should do the trick :) 

Striving to be a better Photographer whilst looking after two young children... :0/

• i know it is a strong word and shouldn't be used lightly. but i hate hate hate air rifles. they are the most evil weapon i can think of. they are evil because the people who sell them usually target kids. 

kids don't think before they discharge and this can lead to serious injuries for innocent bystanders.

evil evil evil things.

A smile will open more doors than any key.

• hello all,

we had this 4 years ago, when our neighbours boys shot pigeons, my husband phoned a bird sanctuary in Clacton and they said always report it to them or the rspb.  It is disgusting they should have air guns.

I don't think it should be allowed as they can be a nuisance, but they have a right to be in the garden,like all the birds.

From

Jenny

J

• How are you getting on?