government alterations to wildlife and countryside act

hi people

i've just had this email i thought i would share with you..

On Monday, it was revealed that the government might scrap vital laws which protect wildlife and the countryside and help stop climate change. Hardliners have branded the rules ‘red tape’ and say they could be scrapped within months. [1]

We need to work together to make sure our wildlife, our countryside and our planet are protected.

In the past, David Cameron has made headlines promising to run "the greenest government ever". [2] We need to convince him that scrapping these laws would be a disaster for his reputation. A huge petition will prove to Cameron that he can't afford to break his green promises.

Please take 30 seconds to speak up for legal protection for wildlife and the environment:
http://www.38degrees.org.uk/dont-scrap-environment-laws

Among the laws under threat are the Climate Change Act and the Wildlife and Countryside Act. These aren’t little-known laws that no one cares about. The Wildlife and Countryside Act protects wild birds, their nests and eggs, and makes sure that national parks and marine reserves are protected. The UK’s Climate Change Act was a world first which helps make sure we reduce our emissions. [3]

We know that when we work together we can make sure the government doesn’t get away with plans which could hurt the environment. When they decided to try to sell off our forests, over half a million of us got together and convinced them to drop their plans. [4]

The government says it is "consulting" before scrapping these laws - so let's give them a consultation response they can't ignore! Please help make sure we have a huge petition telling the government to keep laws which protect our wildlife and our environment.

Sign the petition to send a powerful message to David Cameron and the government:
http://www.38degrees.org.uk/dont-scrap-environment-laws

at the minute i havn't gone into it to see whats involved so i dont want to start an arguement among members it's just for information

alan

• Unknown said:

Bringing this topic up to the front page......here are the key links if you want to express your views on this:

RSPB e-action form

Government - Red Tape challenge feedback page

38 Degrees Petition 

currently there are only 158 responses to the govt feedback page - we must get more

Izzy

• Izzy said:

currently there are only 158 responses to the govt feedback page - we must get more

One of main concerns with this is that the general public is unaware.  The Govt didn't announce it and it isn't easy to search for on the internet.  

• we can all help with spreading the word too, there's power in numbers :)

Tell you friends and family, if you use twitter or facebook share the links

It's both what you do and the way that you do it!

You cannot fly like an eagle with the wings of a wren.
    William Henry Hudson (1841 - 1922)

• I got this from mine 

Thank you for your e-mail regarding the Government’s Red Tape Challenge and environmental legislation, in particular the Wildlife & Countryside Act and the Countryside & Rights of Way Act.

The Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra) is very clear that the presence of a particular regulation or law on the Red Tape Challenge website, including the Wildlife & Countryside Act and the Countryside & Rights of Way Act, should not be read as implying any intention on the part of the Government to remove that regulation or law from the statute book.

Rather the purpose of the Red Tape website is for the public to tell the Government which regulations are working and which are not; what should be scrapped, what should be saved and what should be simplified.

Across all departments, the Government is currently running this consultation to reduce the amount of red tape.  Ministers believe that good regulation can protect consumers, employees and the environment, and helps build a more fair society and can even save lives.

Over the years, however, regulations have increased significantly and done real damage to the economy and harmed society too.  When people try to volunteer or play a bigger part in their neighbourhood, they can be confronted by a raft of regulations that can deter them from volunteering.

Please rest assured that I take very seriously the matter of environmental protection as does Defra.

Thank you once again for taking the time to write to me on this important matter.

Yours sincerely

Robert Buckland MP