Corvid cull looming

Please see http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/earthnews/8286034/Magpies-and-crows-to-be-culled-to-protect-songbirds.html

This is bad on an epic scale.  A hugely undesirable precedent, interfering with natural processes on the basis of bad science (or no science at all), a tiny pressure group apparently driving the agenda, and no apparent action by the authorities to, at least, explain what is actually going on (though the Telegraph might have missed it).

This is indeed a black day for biodiversity.

Every day a little more irate about bird of prey persecution, and I have a cat - Got a problem with that?

• It is not the word, it is the inference in the context of your post.

"The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom" - Wlliam Blake

• I'm no sweet old lady, but I do have a cat (the clue's in my tagline) and, yes, the day the RSPB advocates a cat cull is the day my subscription direct debit gets turned off. Given that the domestic cat is now the nation's preferred pet  (presumably because they're easier to maintain than dogs and are content to amuse themselves while owners are at work) any organisation that suggested slaughter would be committing corporate suicide.  My Felis cattus is confined to quarters outside daylight hours and she's fine with that by the way. 16 hours sleep out of 24 has to be fitted in somewhere.

JBNTS

Every day a little more irate about bird of prey persecution, and I have a cat - Got a problem with that?

• Claire, i am off course sorry if for some reason you found it offensive.

As to inference, there was none in the writing, though obviously there is some in the reading. It was a  straight statement of fact. As I said, my mother is sweet, she is in her late 80's, so therefore old, and she is certainly a lady. She is a long term member of RSPB and loves her birds with a passion, but she loves her cats even more and I can assure you, that if there were calls to cull cats from the RSPB, she would certainly be changing her will. The RSPB and Cat Protection League being the two main non family beneficiaries at present.

• To get back on topic and ageism apart, I have to  support the view that emphasis on good environments with human help  is the best way for birds to maintain good breeding levels.

"The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom" - Wlliam Blake

• ClaireM said:

To get back on topic and ageism apart, I have to  support the view that emphasis on good environments with human help  is the best way for birds to maintain good breeding levels.

Yep, keep the habitat in good heart with shelter and a food supply, minimise disturbance, avoid messing with natural self-regulating systems and songbird populations will cope with any natural predators (cats too).

• "To get back on topic and ageism apart, I have to  support the view that emphasis on good environments with human help  is the best way for birds to maintain good breeding levels."

Claire, while refuting and ignoring the accusation of ageism ( I am rapidly approaching if not actually in my dotage myself ) I agree with you.

"good environments" are a prerequisite. However, excessive numbers of predators in an area negates all the habitat improvements carried out with human help.

• There is no need for a cull in cats - what is needed is for people to take responsibility for their pets and stop leaving them free to roam around killing wildlife.  Cats have owners - and ultimately they are responsible for their pets and what they do. 

Improved habitats should help reduce predation by providing more cover, safer nesting sites and feeding areas closer to cover so they have more chance of reaching cover before they are caught.  On one of the blogs they give an example of how cirl buntings have increased in number through habitat improvement without the need to cull predators, which is a working example of how it can be done.  Besides, corvid numbers would soon increase again what with the never ending food supply of released pheasents killed on the roads!  It is also important to remember that predation IS needed.  We NEED the predators to deal with those birds that are nesting in poor quality areas - the best get the best nesting sites and those that aren't up to scratch have to deal with less suitable sites.  This is an important part of nature which helps ensure genetically strong populations and the weakest are weeded out.  The difficult part is, is getting the habitat right because different species will require slightly diffierent conditions and all this needs taking into account.  This is probably why things work well for individial species where they are the focus, but what works for them may not work foor another species and so the other won't necessarily do as well.  A mocaic of habitats is needed to create areas suitable for all - predators included.  But on the little farmland there is for wildlife how possible this would be is a big question.

• What a cogent and well constructed arguement KatTai, I couldn't agree with you more!

• Think I am right in saying this Cirl Bunting argument as if it proves that everything great andno predator control in being is if I am right complete tosh as they were often reared in Paignton Zoo,no corvids there obviously,we should be told the full story.Of course I apologise if my information wrong.

Think we have been completely misled on this Cirl Bunting red herring and how many other figures with corvids   

• I assume the cirl bunting project that is being discussed here is the joint venture between the RSPB, Paignton Zoo, the National Trust and Natural England to re-establish the cirl bunting in Cornwall.

This reintroduction involved the artificial rearing /releasing of cirl buntings.

Seventy cirl bunting chicks were hand reared by aviculturists at Paignton Zoo after being collected under a special licence from nests in South Devon.

Alternative methods of controlling predation was the technique of providing supplementary food, in the form of commercially-reared  quails, to the ONE local pair of breeding sparrowhawks.

Hardly a high predator area, hardly a flagship for habitat improvement showing results etc.

As Sooty says, "complete tosh' and yet another attempt by RSPB to massage the facts to feed to those less knowledgeable members of the public and RSPB membership.