Dogs off leads

Can more be done persuade visitors to keep their dogs on leads when visiting reserves?

• Can anyone help me, there is a public slipway/beach small at the end of Lake Road in Poole.

This lady walks her dog off lead she can see that there are waders gulls on the edge of the beach next to the water, she throws a ball in the direction of the birds, it startles the birds then the dog runs after the ball towards the bads and they all fly off is this against the law?
  • Sadly, I don't think it is. It would be a different story if there were nesting birds involved.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• some beaches allow  dogs off lead year round whereas others don’t allow them offlead year round 

this has a list of the beaches that are dog friendly but   don’t don’t allow dogs while others do but have limitations some allow dogs offlead some don’t 

here is a list of the rules on the beaches and limitations 

https://www.dorsetcouncil.gov.uk/countryside-coast-parks/dog-walking-in-dorset/walking-dogs-on-beaches

• Legally if there area any public footpaths anyone can have there on or offf leads, unless there are by-laws where it says dogs must be on leads. That is the case at part of the RSPB reserve at Saltholme where dog owners often have them off leads at a small part of that reserve. Saltholme staff can ask them if they will put their dogs onto leads. But it’s not compulsory. In Scotland the public can walk on any open countryside including reserves with dogs on leads. As far as England goes various local authorities change put local by-laws. Im not saying I agree with that. But that is the legal situation, but as far as public footpath laws are concerned with public footpaths that is the legal position is at present. But strangely the National Trust can make there own by-laws in England, but no other conservation charity can.

Regards,

Ian.