Shooting birds in gardens using air rifles

Having found several bodies over the last week (shot birds e.g. collared doves), I finally heard the shots this afternoon (Sunday, 24th July), and watcheed, to my horror, as a dove was shot in the tree in the garden next to me.  I was horrified and shouted out. i have reported this to the police and knocked on neighbours doors - all deny knowledge.  I have pets of my own and can't bear to think of this evil people committing this wanton destruction, and possibly aiming also at my pets... what else can I do????

• Hi Jeannie - welcome to the forum - i agree that Wildlife Ranger has given you a great answer - it is illegal to shoot any wild bird in the UK - they are protected under the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981, which makes it a criminal offence to injure or kill a wild bird - and as such, it should be reported to the police.

Certain birds, in certain situations may be shot, using a General Licence, but this would not be applicable in a residential area. It is also an offence to use firearms in close proximity to your house, and to fire across your property.

I would not advise using CCTV to attempt to film into your neighbour's garden. Privacy laws would only allow you to film your own property for security purposes, and you could find yourself in trouble.

• Hi John

Thank you for your reply

As you know we have discussed these issues elsewhere on other Forums, and we both know how stormy conversations can get about issues as sensitive as this one is.

It is hard to place a finger on what to do.and how to go about issues as best we can without landing ourself in bother in any way.

Jeannie: Please tell us how you get on.  It is peoples opinions that are counted here, and there is no right or wrong way expect by contacting local authorities on the issue.

That is the  best way to handle the situation

Have your thought of contacting your local MP at all.

Regards

Kathy and Dave

• Hello all, thanks so much for your ideas and comments.  Some great ideas, things I havent done yet but will, and the support is great.  One or two people I have spoken to have just shrugged; so apathetic.  I am about to leaflet the neighbours today with the info/tel numbers etc to keep the profile high, and I rang the police back today to ensure my call to them was logged. My one concern is drawing attention to my home and animals but if we don't stand up and be counted, the bad guys win.  So, forward with sensible precautions.  I appreciate all your comments as they are well meant and more are appropriate to some situations than others, its all good.  I think I'd like to live near 'bird people', we may have differences but presumably there wouldn't be people entertaining themselves with guns. Fools.

• Anonymous
    0 Anonymous 26/07/2010 18:08 in reply to Jeannie41

Hi Jeannie

Thank you for your reply.

I know what I said did not suit the question, but I have heard contrasting stories from years ago that are not up to date ways of dealing with gun law issues now.  The laws have changed so much.

The privacy law - is something I cannot understand as what these fools are doing is affecting your life/privacy with their frightening behaviour.

Sorry, LRB for crossing over your post  - as we posted at the same time and you got there before me.  Thank you for setting me straight here {big smile}

Regards

Kathy and Dave

• Jeannie a general leaflet with an a random email for contact would be suffice you need not disclose yourself

• Hi Jeannie  - i've attached the RSPB's advice leaflet on Wild birds and the law, i hope it's useful to you.

Birds and the law in England and Wales.pdf
  • Crikey Jeannie! I too would be devastated to find any type of creature shot like it, whether it be wild or pet! Very best of luck with this!

• Thank you Wildlife Ranger.  I have pursued the police angle as suggested and now have some good contacts there, and I have leafletted the area.  I also seem to have a newspaper interested which may help raise the profile and I've written to every authority I can think of to raise the profile and the issue.  I just want this to stop and never return.  The technical info is very helpful and I will keep a copy handy. thanks again, Jeannie

• Hi all, a brief update. The police have conducted a house to house with words of advice along my road.  I have found two long grey capsules that the police think may be ball bearing capsules.  Nice.  They are coming to see me shortly for an update and to look at the evidence.  I have also found a dead wood pigeon that I havent had the nerve yet to dissect to find shot, bearings etc but I will.  The local newspaper also want to conduct an interview so things may be moving along. Jeannie