Sally, a Montagues Harrier disappears

Just transfering this from another thread

Just came across this item about poor Sally the Montagues harrier, sat tagged too, but she disappeared anyway www.telegraph.co.uk/.../sally-bbc-autumnwatch-harrier-has-illegally-killed-rspb-fear . It's a disgrace that there isn't a lot more publicity about the disappearence. So sad! It should be headline news for a week.

Found this Blog too http://www.rspb.org.uk/community/ourwork/b/investigations/archive/2017/08/15/the-end-of-sally.aspx

Best wishes

Hazel in the Gironde estuary, France

• Yep it's a sad story Hazel if in fact she has been killed.

But with all technology it can fail, there is at least one Osprey knocking about with a failed Sat pack on its back, and I've been out walking on the moors this morning with a tracker on my phone and it has stopped twice.

I don't think the technology is as reliable as they would have us believe.

My Flickr photos

• In reply to Alan.:

I think the people watching the nest have confirmed that she has indeed disappeared. In the case of Breagha the device stopped working after a few hours in the same spot, it had been crunched by an animal & water probably got in too.

Best wishes

• In reply to Noisette:

This is such a tragedy H, read it on Twitter couple of days ago & it made me so sad & angry, really do hope they find her body in order to lay the blame on somebody if applicable!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• In reply to WendyBartter:

Very sad news, Hazel, I wish that wishing could change things!

Kind regards, 

Ann

• In reply to Gardenbirder:

Hi-  for an 'interesting' read put GOSHAWK TRACKER SANDRINGHAM into google-

S

For advice about Birding, Identification,field guides,  binoculars, scopes, tripods,  etc - put 'Birding Tips'   into the search box

• In reply to seymouraves:

An interesting read indeed.  Here's a link to it.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• In reply to Clare:

Thanks for that "S", very interesting reading & sounds like investigating the death of protected species doesn't come high on UK priorities either.

Best wishes

• In reply to Noisette:

The devices fitted to birds are generally very reliable. The fact that so many disappear without trace in upland areas away from prying eyes and close to driven grouse shooting estates really is pretty significant.

Every day a little more irate about bird of prey persecution, and I have a cat - Got a problem with that?

• In reply to John B (not the sloop):

Sad to read about Sally the Montague harrier.

J