Is there any way to prevent mass killings of ducklings by crows and magpies - Help?

I moved to Wiltshire in November and was thrilled to be so near to such a beautiful park, with a lake and trees and lots of wild life, especially one that is dog friendly, and as such visit the park every day to observe the wild life whilst walking my dog, but I must say that I  have been shocked by the slaughter of the ducklings at the park.

When you visit every day, like I do, and when you have a particular interest in the wild life you notice things, that maybe people who do not have an interest in the wild life, or do not visit daily do not notice.

A month ago there were a huge amount of ducklings, and now there are hardly any, I have personally observed the over abundance of crows and magpies at the park, in relation to the small birds, and as such have observed crows and magpies taking ducklings from the lake and on the ground, sometimes daily, I have come across dead ducklings and witnessed the barbaric killings of these young ducks personally on at least six occasions.

I do appreciate that crows and magpies are meat eaters and that a certain percentage will be taken by the crows and magpies, but because of the over abundance of these species in the park, these poor ducklings do not stand a chance and it is really obvious how few ducklings actually survive this constant attack by these birds in this particular park, and is pretty horrific when you see it firsthand - a month ago there was close to 100, this morning I counted 8 - pretty startling figures.

I would like to know what if anything can be done to protect these duckling, I realise some people's  attitude is ‘it is nature’, although I think when there is an obvious abundance of these carnivorous birds, nature seems out of cinc,the poor ducklings do not stand chance, I can’t imagine how distressing it must be for these ducks to lose all their young over a period of a week?

Is there any kind of protective type of areas that could be put in, or another species that could be introduced to keep the crows and magpies down, is it possible, I don’t know, but was wondering if it is, or if there is anything the park can do to help, I have wrote to them?

It would be nice to see a bigger percentage of the ducklings surviving, as I personally am starting to re-consider visiting the park daily, because it is so depressing to visit there every day and wondering how many  ducklings have gone since yesterday, and would be nice for the park to be able to have a higher survival rate, as I believe it is totally over the top, in comparison to other parks.

Would be grateful for anyone's help/advice, especialy if there was something I could personally do or suggest to the park

• Hi Debbie

I know that it's very hard to watch or to understand what appears to be wholesale slaughter like this, especially in a place that you visit regularly.

I hate to say it but it is nature as you suspect. If you think about it these crows and magpies are probably abundant in this place because they find it easier to catch ducklings there than somewhere else.

I don't know exactly what the park is like, but there is clearly an imbalance that makes the crows and magpies more successful than the ducks. Maybe there isn't enough vegetation for tthe ducks to hide in, or there are fewer ducks nesting there so that there are fewer chicks to start with, or they are choosing poorly when they build their nests. They may just be inexperienced parents.

In general the balance of ducks to crows and magpies will still be about right over a large area, say County wide or Countrywide. You only see your one little park as your example. In my park there are loads of young duckings and goslings and I hardly ever see a crow or a magpie. I presume seabirds and other predators take them when they can though.

We aren't particularly short of ducks or geese, nor are we particularly overloaded with crows and magpies. The bigger picture is what's important.

It's possible that when your park matures there may be more hiding places and what looks like an imbalance now might even out.

I find that it's best to accept that nature is nature and what will be will be. Usually only the strongest survive in the natural world.

Best wishes Chris

p.s I just noticed you placed this in the 'Request a New Forum' category. There are wildlife watching and wildlife protection categories that might have attracted more attention from forum users.

Best wishes Chris

Click Here to see my photos

• Dear Woodpecker,

I want to thank you for your reply, and in answer to your questions, the park is in Swindon, and is a very mature park, I believe it has been there at least 150 years, on a positive note the signets seem to be doing well, they had 8 to start with, but one was weak from the start, so didn't make it, and one disappeared over night, so they now have 6 and are doing really well.

I have now spotted a few more ducklings although very small number, about 12 in total, the original 8 are there now, and I believe too big for a crow or magpie to take, although still vulunerable to foxes, I have seen a fox hole there, so believe there is a resident fox.

I resisted going there for a few days, as it was so upsetting, but have now returned to my normal daily schedule, as I do enjoy going there, and will try accept that as you say, it is nature, I think I problarly needed somebody else to tell me, so to speak.  The park did not reply to my letter, which was a shame, however I will still go there and feed them, I read that cabbage is quite good for the swans, so took some down this morning, and they loved it, so will buy another one, if you have any other tips on what I could feed the ducks, that would be great, I know you shouldn't really feed them bread, so although I have taken some brown bread down there, would like to help if possible the ones that are there.

I found a frog in my garden and took that down there and released it, I hope I did the right thing, but wanted to give him the best chance.

I'm thinking of volunteering for maybe some bird charity, to see if I can help with any pratical help with birds, as I'm so passionate, if you know of any good volunteering organisations, that would appreciate a bit of help, please let me know.

Many thanks

Debbie

• Hello Debbie, and welcome to the forum.

It must have been distressing for you to witness the ducklings being taken, and you wouldn't be human if you didn't feel a little emotional about it. However, it is nature and each of those tiny ducklings will have made a  meal for other chicks who may otherwise have gone hungry. Good news that you have found some more babies.

We have a daily dog walk down to our river where there are at least 100 mallard ducks. This year we have only seen one set of ducklings out of all those potential parents. There were 10 of these ducklings on the first day we saw them. The next day there were only 8. A few days later they were down to just one. That was a couple of weeks ago before we went on holiday. Last evening we had our first walk after returning and were delighted to see the one duckling still alive and with his mum. He is now too big for the crows, so may well be lucky.  The other 100 or so mallards are still all there, and in pairs or threesomes, but no babies. We can only put the lack of other duckling families down to eggs being taken. There are a lot of minks about in that area - probable culprits. These mink were released by protestors from a local mink farm many years ago and found their way to the river where they have lived and bred ever since. There are also lots of crows, plus a heron, who may also have helped themselves.

Cheers, Linda.

See my photos on Flickr

• Hi Debbie, i'm pleased to hear the ducklings have grown and as you say, hopefully too big now to be taken by magpies, and hopefully will roost in a safe place out of danger from the foxes.

Food wise for ducks you're right that bread's not any good for them, and other bids - it has very little nutrition and only serves to fill them up when they should be eating more nuritious food. Cabbage is fine as is sweetcorn and cooked potatoes - cooked rice and pasta would also be ok - it's important to avoid offering food with added salt though as this can have a bad effect on them - more information on suitable foods can be seen here

I'm not sure that moving the frog was the best thing to do - they spend the majority of their lives on land and was probably quite happy where he was. If he turned up there of his own accord, there must have been something there he liked, such as a compost heap or undergrowth or some other dark, damp area. Urban gardens are a frequently used by frogs. You also have the danger that you're introducing him to an area that is unfamiliar to him and possibly exposing him to predators. For more infornmation on what to do if you find frogs take a look at the Amphibian and Reptile Conservation website

Lastly, for volunteering work i can think of no better suggestion than to volunteer for the RSPB - you can find everything you need to know on the website - http://www.rspb.org.uk/volunteering/

Help swifts by letting us know what they're up to - fill in the 2010 survey

• I forgot to say that ducks like lettuce.

Cheers, Linda.

See my photos on Flickr

• Hi Debbie,

Welcome to the forums.  I live in Wiltshire too, down on the south of the county.  If you want to get involved with nature conservation on a local basis you can't go far wrong in joining the Wiltshire Wildlife Trust.  They have lots of things you can take part in of a practical nature and there is information on wildlife reserves and also the current conservation projects going on in the county. 

Here is a link to their website  www.wiltshirewildlife.org

Another website you might find of interest is that of the Wiltshire Ornithological Society.

Their website is www.wiltshirebirds.co.uk

Best wishes,

SB

There is something new to learn everyday...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/skylark58/