Same old problem, so can I make a suggestion? !

Not sure where to post this particular thread so will leave it to you Mrs T.       but most people will see this if I post it in the Tea Rooms. 

I hear so many instances of gardening activities that involve hedge/shrub cutting back between April and September where birds have either begun to build a nest or later in the season when they have eggs or a brood in the nest.   In fact this morning, I observed activity next door where the handyman was hand shearing back some hedgerow and shrubs along the fence line where there is more than a good chance the Blackbirds, Dunnock and Robin have potential nesting sights or even nests.      Most folk who cut back hedgerows and shrubs don't mean any harm at all to the wildlife and a polite word in the ear is sufficient to highlight the Laws regarding birds and their nesting rights and thus stop any further disturbance to them.    

It seems to me that not enough members of the public are aware of the Wildlife & Countryside Act 1981,  and related Laws  and I feel it would be money well spent to perhaps have the RSPB create advertisements in say March to alert people to this important Law with perhaps a notice in the National Newspapers and better still a short TV advertisement which may reach the masses and warn them that they would be breaking the law if they were to cut back hedgerows/shrubs, etc, where there were birds nests.   Perhaps RSPB representatives visiting schools to not only talk about the delights that bird-watching can bring and the importance of nature in general but to inform youngsters of these laws so in turn they may chat with their parents and thus spread their new found knowledge;  we already have schools involved in creating homes for wildlife at the reserve areas, etc., so it seems sensible to include a little bit of information about the importance of the Wildlife/Countryside laws too.      As a Society that is there for the Protection of Birds its seems a very good reason to spend money on getting this information out there as I hate to think how many birds do abandon nests, eggs or even nesting sites due to this continuing problem.  

I know money is tight and the RSPB has to spend it wisely but if I were to ask the general public if they knew about this current Act of Parliament regarding the 1981 Law on  Wildlife and Countryside Act,  I am convinced that  9/10 people would not know of its existence.    Surely it is vital to get this message out to the wider public so that more birds are protected during nesting season ?        

There, I've said my piece  LOL,    Please do something get the message out there, even one notification in the newspapers and TV during March would help  !      Thank you :)

Regards, Hazel 

• My sentiments exactly and some well made points. The hedge where I recently found the dead Sparrow nestling was given a drastic shearing the day after. Luckily the Spadgers did not desert their young, as I saw the adults in there a day or so later. However, I have also seen Council workers 'pollarding' the trees in the local side roads and I know that some of these trees contained nests. The same applies to station refurbishments (although that is maybe going off-topic). What do their building contractors do with nesting Ferals? Wimbledon station is undergoing such a refurb at present and it worries me because I know there were active nests and now every structure on at least two platforms has been demolished. What did they do with the nestlings?

Ok, Feral rant over (for now). I agree with Hazy, if there could be an ad campaign as a follow up to the last one which was 'Giving Nature A Home', then maybe some people would think twice before cutting back hedges and levelling trees in the Springtime. We have probably left it too late for this year, but there is time to plan for next Spring.

Unicum arbustum haud alit duos erithacos

(One bush does not shelter two Robins)

Zenodotus (3rd Century B.C.)

• Am going to pop this is Wildlife Protection. Have alerted our media team also.

• Thanks Mrs. T, that is very much appreciated :)  

Regards, Hazel 

• I concur.

• Good idea Hazy, even a bit of local awareness at the bigger reserves that attract families would doubtless pay dividends.  Certainly at Minsmere we often see people simply out enjoying the fresh air and countryside (ie not birders as such) and making information available can only help to improve the situation.

I know our own plans for tidying the garden this long weekend have had to be re-thought since Mr & Mrs Robin appear to have taken up residence somewhere near the shed

___

Find me on Flickr / All about your camera - The Getting off Auto Index

• Lovely Robin photo. Had it been singing 'Wheel Meet Again'? Or was it too 'Tyred'?

Ok, I'll get me coat...

• Groan!

___

Find me on Flickr / All about your camera - The Getting off Auto Index

• I do agree with all what you say Hazel, as alot of my neighbours are always tidying their gardens even when their are birds nesting.

Regards,

Ian.

• Thanks for your replies MC, WJ and Thomo, it is much appreciated;  lets just hope the RSPB media team can get the word out and also at the various Reserves as the more people made aware, the better the chance for the nesting birds.   Thank you again.

Regards, Hazel 

• Great rant Hazy, totally agree with you.!! Well thought out and very well put.!!

Paul

My bird photos HERE