More crimes against native wildlife

Earlier this year more crimes were committed against our native wildlife with details emerging that back in April a pair of marsh harriers were killed, poisoned by Aldicarb, a banned pesticide, close to our Nene washes nature reserve and a red kite suffered a similar fate in Lincolnshire. We have just issued a press release with the police asking for information on this which is already in some local media, see the story here .

For reference you can read about the incidents related to poisoning in the UK here on the HSE website. Hopefully someone somewhere knows something that can get the cowards responsible for this brought to justice. Please be vigilant when you are out and about in the countryside and if you suspect illegal poisoning, call 0800 321600, more details here.

Warden Intern at Otmoor.

• Just watched a report on North east News stating that the North of England has more incidences of attacks on BOP than anywhere else,with North Yorkshire being the worst. It showed a covert video of a guy who had trapped two (I think) Red Kite in a cage and then went in and beat them to death with a lump of wood!!! He was of course prosecuted,but how anyone could do that to such beautiful creatures,or any creature come to that, is beyond my comprehension.

Terry

cheers  Terry

my photo's here

• turboman said:

Just watched a report on North east News stating that the North of England has more incidences of attacks on BOP than anywhere else,with North Yorkshire being the worst. It showed a covert video of a guy who had trapped two (I think) Red Kite in a cage and then went in and beat them to death with a lump of wood!!! He was of course prosecuted,but how anyone could do that to such beautiful creatures,or any creature come to that, is beyond my comprehension.

Terry

Saw this report as well Turboman,the recording area for our little club based in Nidderdale is surrounded by this area makes you feel ashamed to be a Yorkie.Our club committee has met our local M.P. to discus the matter,not sure if any good will come of it but we have to start somewhere. We have a wide variety of shoots and syndicates in our area and I find it hard to believe,as some would have it,that they are all bad.

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can