Tragic News For Norfolk (Virginia) Eagles

Really tragic news from the Norfolk Eagles. The mother was killed today by collision with an aircraft. It remains to be seen if dad can bring up the eaglets by himself.

Link to Norfolk Eagles.

The cam is    here.

• While I agree that it is bad news you did give us a queer turn with your heading,thought we had eagles in the real Norfolk.Hope the male does a good job and rears his family.

• Ok I have now changed the title. I have never heard them called by any name other than Norfolk Eagles.

• Daddy eagle arrived with a fish and fed the 3 eaglets at 6.47  EDT.

Oh so dad left as a single parent may do it again.

• This is a haunting tribute to mum.

and an article about the tragedy.

• Dad arrives with breakfast!

Comment from the news stream.

I am not here to answer questions right now but wanted to post that Dad has brought in a fish at 6:40 a.m. EDST. He did not start feeding immediately but waited, as if expected the female to return and feed. He has now started feeding

• Thanks Tiger  for this new thread.  I am still finding it hard to accept that this magnificent female who has raised so many eaglets is no longer with us.  Dad has fed them this morning so hopefully he will be able to carry on.  It really has put a damper on my day I have to say.  As you say the tribute is haunting and beautiful, worthy of such a magnificent bird.

• I don't often post..but wanted to say that Virginia is uniquely suited to care for these eaglets if the need arises.I have watched these parents for years and I too, am heartbroken but I know they will carefully watch over the eaglets. . The Wildlife Center of Virginia has cared for "Buddy" an eaglet from their 2008 nest since May of that year. He was taken from the nest when viewers saw a growth on his beak. It turned out to be Avian Pox which could have been fatal. Buddy attracted worldwide attention as the center flew in a surgeon who re-constructed his beak. They have to trim the beak monthly and he will become their Ambassador for wildlife when his teen-age angst has calmed down. I have supported (in a small way) the Center by buying their annual calendar and a small pledge toward the care of Buddy. The Center cares for hundreds of wildlife a year that are brought to their door.

I hope I have not intruded too much with this rather long post. 

• bjane thanks for your post and I know that whatever happens the eaglets will be cared for.  The worry is that if they do not have enough to eat they would get dehydrated but as long as the male can bring food in for them as he has been doing they will be fine.  It is so heartbreaking though.  I have watched for the last couple of years and was in awe of these beautiful birds.  I did know about Buddy and that outcome turned out to be the best for him and he is now an ambassador for eagles.

• bjane don't know what happened there but I posted a reply to you to say thanks and it disappeared.  I know they will keeping a watchful eye on the eaglets to make sure that the male brings in fish and feeds them to avoid dehydration.  I found this nest last year and watced in awe as they raised their family.  I did know about Buddy who was removed but they did the best they could for him and he is now doing good work as an ambassador for eagles.  It is so tragic though and really upset me when I found out.

• not at all bjane -  I'm greatful for this thread but have no words. I did follow the link that Tiger posted to YouTube to the tribute in song but it's still too close for me. I had to stop listening- it is just too much for me at the moment. And of course other sadnesses tend to creep in where they spot a *** even though it's long ago - dear Deshar

for some reason the word *** won't post but becomes  ****

??? oh dear better change the word to 'opening' then