Tragic News For Norfolk (Virginia) Eagles

Really tragic news from the Norfolk Eagles. The mother was killed today by collision with an aircraft. It remains to be seen if dad can bring up the eaglets by himself.

Link to Norfolk Eagles.

The cam is    here.

• Thank you all for your comments. The last great saga like this was the De Mortel Peregrines in 2007. Everything was going fine when old S2 turned up and killed Ma. Then not only did poor old Pa have the problem of feeding the chicks but fending off S2 at the same time. Each time he arrived with some prey she came and stole it as a love gift. It was the most tense ten days in webcam watching I have ever know.

Someone put together a tribute video.  See  De Mortel 2007.

Next year Pa paired up with S2 and they have chicks right now.

• Hi Tiger

This is indeed a real tragedy.

It's a big ask for the male eagle to raise 3 chicks all by himself. Even though we all know what happened last year in Loch of the Lowes with the ospreys when Lady was ill for several days and the Laird hunted for fish and fed the chicks, this case is still different as it means that the chicks have to be safe on their own somehow, while dad is away hunting for their meals.

Looking on the positive side, they are already quite big chicks.

I will keep my fingers crossed that these 3 eagle chicks fledge successfully and wish everyone concerned all the luck in the world.

Edited

• Cirrus  I thought about dear Deshar when I read this news but didn't want to upset people further.  Will never forget reading the blogs and Richard's and all at LG devastation when he could fly no more.  Such a brave boy, I dissolved into tears for days afterwards.

• Tiger  what are you trying to do to me, thought I had no tears left but after watching that down they came again,  Never seen it before so thanks for the link.  It was amazing to watch and even more so when S2 started to feed the two reimaining chicks.  Nice to know they are now a pair and have chicks but you have to wonder why S2 did that.

• Woodpecker  It was Lady at Lowes of the Lowes that was ill last year and the Laird stepped in to feed the chicks.

In 2009 at Loch Garten Odin went missing and  there was a Tesco delivery of fish to the nest.

• Hazel b said:

Woodpecker  It was Lady at Lowes of the Lowes that was ill last year and the Laird stepped in to feed the chicks.

In 2009 at Loch Garten Odin went missing and  there was a Tesco delivery of fish to the nest.

Hi Tiger

Sorry, yes of course it was I realized as soon as I posted it, and now I can't edit it.

• Woodpecker. Yes you can edit your posts at any time.

• Just to update all they are going to remove the eagles and take them to the Wildlife Center in Virginia, sad news and wonder what the male will think when his offspring are removed.  sad but they think it will be for the best.  Really hope the male finds a new mate soon as he must be missing her.

• margobird   I do not think that any decision has been taken as to whether to take the eaglets from the nest. The baby is self feeding at 9.52am  EDST and so it would appear that all is well.

• Tiger  it came up on the blog about 30 minutes ago that they are going to be removed as the male might not be able to cope with their ever increasing need for food.  They are hopeful that they will be released to the wild as soon as able which is good news.