Peregrine Falcon, Orange NSW - 2020

©FalconCamProject, CSU, Orange, NSW

FALCONCAM PROJECT WEBSITE

NEST CAM

LEDGE CAM

As announced by IAN in the 2019 thread:

First egg of the season:

• Just read this under nest cam 2, posted earlier today by Cilla:
    "NEWS... Update 0950 20 Nov Izzi is now with a raptor carer in Young. She agrees that the wing does not appear to be broken, but has arranged for an X ray today at 4.30 pm. The vet thought there was a 'weakness' on one side and the wings are not exactly symetrical. She is concerned that there might be an injury between the shoulders (coricoid, I understand) which is not determined by physical examination alone. Izzi has been fed (chicken heart) and hydrated and is now alone in an aviary and has not attempted to fly. I will update again this evening when I will no more. If okay and flying, they recommend return to the nest within a week."

• Thank you very much for those reports, GARDENBIRDER - I had no idea, and only just remembered to check the stream for Cam2, which had gone down ages and ages ago.

What a terrible shame, after Izzi's magnificent second fledge Disappointed relieved 

20 November

Well!  No wonder Diamond and Xavier were so anxious today.  They started checking the scrape from 05:20 onwards, there was nearly always one or other of them in view - and later in the morning they had a very animated discussion about the situation  Open mouth 

• I was going to update you with a video but, having been embroiled with my bank for what seems like hours, and may well have been, and having found that an update video requires a bit more editing than I anticipated, I'll post the latest report from Cilla Kinross:

NEWS... Update 8 15 pm 20 Nov   Izzi is in care at Young (about 2 hours drive away).  He is in an aviary and eating well (quail, mice and chicken hearts).  His X ray was clear.  No fractures, but he still can't fly and they think he is slightly underweight (483 grams), possibly with a disease trichomoniasis*, although not showing obvious symptoms.  But as a precaution, he is going to be treated for that and fed well so his chest muscles build up a bit for five days.  He is hungry and taking food easily and will get feathered food as well.  After that, assuming he can fly, he will be returned to the nest.  I have made enquiries and young peregrines have been returned to the nest up to three weeks after fledging and there have been no problems with being accepted back.

*As some will remember, that was what killed the Pot Plant Owl family in Jo'burg.

• Xav's behaviour while he waited and waited, including the update posted above:

• 21 November

Parents checked in very early in the morning:

• QUOTE:

NEWS... Update 1024 am 21 Nov ...carer says Izzi doing well and already put on 15 grams.

• Izzi in rehab, compliments of ©FalconCam,  CSU, NSW YouTube Chat:

Saturday afternoon, Xavier and Diamond had a big, noisy bonding session:

Diamond spent the whole night on the ledge and early in the morning Xavier arrived for a mega two-part bonding session:

Later, Di returned with a nice full crop:

She stayed pottering, nestorising, just standing for 5 hours and 20 minutes up to this moment, when she's on the ledge looking out.

• Updates - in reverse date order:

NEWS...Update 1021 h 23/11/2020 Weight has improved. Now 513 g. I have asked the carer to see if Izzi has tried to fly and am awaiting her response.

Update 1529 h 22/11/2020 There have been a lot of queries about how long we can keep Izzi away from his parents before he might be rejected. Although nothing is ever a certainty, the general consensus (WIRES - Wildlife Information and Rescue Service; Peg McDonald, Higher Ground Raptors (thanks to Peebee) seems to be about three weeks, although of course, the sooner the better and I don't anticipate it being anywhere near that long. This information comes from successful peregrine falcon fledgling return efforts in this region. Anyone interested in rehabilitation might want to look at this site https://www.highergroundraptors.com/ especially the round aviaries, where birds can get really good long flights. NOTE Izzi is not here, but in a regular aviary in Young, although it's possible he might get moved here if he is reluctant to fly.

Update 1149 h 22 Nov Izzi now 509 g and ate 4 mice and one quail.

Recent activity - nothing to see here if you've got something better to do ;)  I just came across dear Xavier kinda cogitating on the scrape:

I just checked the live stream and Diamond is there now.

• Thanks for all the news & updates on Izzi, had lost touch over past few days due to car problems & having to eventually buy a new one!
    Hope this dear little bird recovers well!
  • I hope I didn't post this already.

NEWS...Update 2030 h 23/11/2020. Izzi has been flying well and straight in the aviary. He has a bruise on his cere (from the window collision), and has had anti-inflammatory medicine. There is no evidence of frounce (the name for trichomoniasis in raptors), but he has had antibiotics as a precaution and he has gained weight. I will be collecting him from a town between here and Young tomorrow morning and hope to have him up the 120 steps plus ladder to his box by lunchtime. As the parents are using the box regularly, I'm hoping they will find him quickly, but I'll probably leave him some food anyway. I don't think the parents will reject him as we are well within the limit, but of course, there are no guarantees, nor that he will have a successful fledge, but let's hope: third time lucky. Many thanks to Leah of WIRES for her huge contribution to Izzi's welfare.

===========

Diamond doesn't trust these intrusions in her walls!  She had just had a much long session at this cam but it would have required editing and there's too much else to do Grin