SPRINGWATCH POLLINATOR SPECIAL THIS FRIDAY 26th JULY.....

Hi All,

Don't forget to tune into BBC SPRINGWATCH SPECIAL this Friday 26th July.

It starts at 9pm and you never know what you might see!  I'm sure that you will enjoy it and especially the little slice of North Somerset that MAY well feature in the program!

I know that there will be some really interesting content about pollinators and what you can do in your own garden to help stop the decline of moths and butterflies.

If you can't watch it record it as you may get a surprise!!....

I'm positive that you will see some of these....

Maybe some of these....

Probably some of these...

And most certainly some of these....

ENJOY!!!!

See you all soon...

Best

Higgy :-)

• Hi Alan,

It's going to be interesting and I'm sure you'll enjoy it!....

See you very soon!... :-)   :-0   :-)   :-0

Best

Higgy

• LOL

Probably be a disaster knowing my luck!....

• Just a lil' reminder for tonight.

• Absolutely blooming fantastic,could be the best spring watch programme yet,recorded for future as well.Some interesting characters along the way.

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• I have to go out this weekend & plant  hundreds of sweet william seeds for next year and do not know WHO to blame........Yes,Pete,there were some odd ones....... :-)

• edgebander said:
    ..Yes,Pete,there were some odd ones....... :-)

Just love characters like that,they really put interest into programmes,certainly inspired me to follow Mrs.S's interest in moths as well as birds and that is from a dyed in the wool birder.

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• Well that was sweaty!!! 53minutes we had to wait but at least we got 6mins so really good coverage in TV land so I've been told!!...

Have to say I enjoyed the program and it was extremely well made with great transition from the scientific start into the wild flower meadows etc!

Flipping phone and mobile have been red hot since it ended!!...

I can't understand all the expressions of amazement and relief that I didn't make a complete fool out of myself!!! Nice to know what your friends are thinking isn't it!!!!....

Think that I'd better start my diet now though!!....

Oh and clear out the shed!! LOL :-)

Best

Higgy

P.S. forgot to answer about the sweet Williams...

I only really discovered them this year and they were brilliant at attracting the Small Tortoiseshells in particular. I grew them mixed with Scabious and Astrantia and have to say that this combination worked superbly at attracting butterflies and bees when not a lot else was in flower! A bonus is that they all look brilliant together also and are therefore a winning combination in my book and I will certainly be growing them all again ready for next year! 

• Recorded this program earlier & have just watched it - what a fabulously interesting hour that has been & of course, the icing on the cake, seeing our own lad strutting his stuff!!!  Great - Higgy you inspire us so much with your enthusiasm & growing expertise - wonderful to meet you!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Hi All,

Thank you all so much I've had a lovely response to the program and I think that I'm naturally a little critical of my own performance although I'm chuffed everyone else enjoyed it...

Following filming the garden came alive with butterflies (typical) so I made my own 'pollinator special' video that I will be sharing on here soon if anyone would like to see the garden with a bit more life in it?

A few weeks on and we now have literally hundreds of all sorts of pollinators so I shot some more footage today simply as I was amazed myself!! LOL Again once edited I'm happy to share if anyone is interested to see what we plant and more importantly see the results of our planting

Let me know if of interest and I'll put up a separate post somewhere?

Best

Higgy

• It was filmed back in June, but you have to remember that in June the season was really behind! I think that it's caught up now and we are experiencing superb numbers of all sorts of pollinators that we just weren't seeing back in June. Yesterday as an example I photographed a mint moth that shouldn't technically be flying now! It was in pristine condition so a young moth I would think also?

The video that I shot about a week after Springwatch filmed actually shows lots of Small Tortoiseshells, we had so many in the garden at that time that you actually had to be careful where you trod! That was the reason that I filmed it in case it was of any use to the BBC...

Now we have all sorts of butterflies and often large volumes of them!....

I'm no video maker so even getting them on here is generally a challenge but at this very moment I'm converting it to put on my new You Tube channel!!!...

You never know I might get it on by tonight (with a lot of luck!!!! LOL)

I will pre-warn that my video skills are extremely shaky (quite literally!!)...

Best

Higgy