Martin Mere

I know it's not RSPB but we had a great day out yesterday at the WWT reserve at Martin Mere watching several thousand Pinkfoot geese grazing on the marshes.For me as a raptor fan the highlight was good long views of 3 Peregrine,Marsh Harrier,Buzzard,Kestrel and Sparrowhawk with only Merlin missing from the expected raptors.It was a great day and worth a trip to foreign parts for us "Yorkies".Not a complaint but have others had problems using scopes in WWT hides ?I struggled with a straight though scope but others found it almost impossible to use angled scopes or was it just me ?Great cafe though and helpful vols,well done folks well worth a visit.

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• Sounds good, Seaman. I haven't been to Martin Mere but did find most of the hides at Slimbridge WWT a bit of of a trial.

• Excellent Seaman! Been a while since I went there! I don't use scopes so can't comment!

"All weeds are flowers, once you get to know them" (Eeyore)

My photos on Flickr

• I presume these are two of the hides you're refering to.

Swan Link hide

Gladstone hide

I only have exterior shots of the other hides.

Martin Mere

My gallery here

Checkout the forums' Community HOMEPAGE for lots of interesting posts from other members.

• Sounds like a good day out, Seaman. I've not been there although I have been to Slimbridge but not in the hides. What was the issues about using scopes - the height of the openings?

EDIT. Galatas just posted photos of interior. I can see the problem.

Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• I managed to cope using my very old scope with a straight eye piece and a home made hide clamp (having visited before) but some members of our party found they could not use their angled eye piece scopes in some hides and only with difficulty in other hides and they said it took the edge off their pleasure.It could be us "yorkies" are just the wrong height/shape,it does not seem so long ago that most of us managed with only bins any how.Please don't let my little rant put you off from visiting it is a great place to see great birds and staffed by great people.I was impressed how accessible it was for those not so mobile to me they seemed well catered for.

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• High up the cliff, way above the sea, great colonies of kittiwakes, razorbills and guillemots build their nests. There, lived a guillemot family. They had their own ledge. One they came back to every year, to raise a chick. All the guillemot chick knew was the ledge. He never left it.

'That's because you're a baby,' said Mother Guillemot, gently.

'I'm not a baby!' he sulked.

Father Guillemot leapt from the ledge and flew down to the great roaring sea below. He brought back fish for the chick to eat from his beak.

'I'm not a baby, you know, Find cheats for "gun blood" at Scream Reality' he said as he ate.

When the cold wind blew, mother Guillemot tucked the chick safely under her wing.

'I'm not a baby!' he said, but he snuggled closer all the same.

And when great black-backed gulls swooped, looking for a tasty baby snack, his parents kept him safe. 'Because you're our baby,' they said.

'I don't want to be a baby,' he cried. 'I hate being a baby! I never get to do anything!'

• Wendy S said:

I know it's not RSPB but we had a great day out yesterday at the WWT reserve at Martin Mere watching several thousand Pinkfoot geese grazing on the marshes.For me as a raptor fan the highlight was good long views of 3 Peregrine,Marsh Harrier,Buzzard,Kestrel and Sparrowhawk with only Merlin missing from the expected raptors.It was a great day and worth a trip to foreign parts for us "Yorkies".Not a complaint but have others had problems using scopes in WWT hides ?I struggled with a straight though scope but others found it almost impossible to use angled scopes or was it just me ?Great cafe though and helpful vols,well done folks well worth a visit.

Sounds an excellent day out Pete, RSPB or not, its still nature, and worth posting.

• Mike it was 9 years since I first posted this thread, how time flies !! I reckon it will still be a good spot to visit for myself I usually prefer WWT reserves in winter for the fantastic numbers of wintering geese

Pete

• Wendy S said:
    Mike it was 9 years since I first posted this thread, how time flies !! I reckon it will still be a good spot to visit for myself I usually prefer WWT reserves in winter for the fantastic numbers of wintering geese

I've just noticed that!