Information about Birdwatching in Glasgow, and surrounding areas

Anonymous
Anonymous

Hello there

In the future coming weeks I will be going up to Glasgow, and staying there the odd few days here and there.

The plan is that my OH, and I use this time to do some birdwatching in this area.  We will be hiring a car so we can go anywhere just about within reason.

We will be staying in Central Glasgow, but again travel will be no problem as we will have a car.

We have had a suggestion to visit Loch Winnoch by someone, but I would like for others to suggest additional sites that are good for birding at this time of the year.

All your help appreciated a lot.

Regards
Kathy and Dave

• Hi Kath,

Don't know how long you'll be in Glasgow or how much time you'll have for birding, but two parks on the South side, Pollock Country park, home of the Burrell Collection and Linn Park  will be worth a walk with your binoculars and camera , both offer good woodland walks.  If you have time you could head for Motherwell half hour from Glasgow to visit RSPB Barons Haugh, we were there yesterday. good variety of duck and a few Whoopers that had just arrived were geting a hard time from resident Mutes. Buzzards suggestions are good and local. Lochwinnoch is a really small reserve with enthusiastic and helpful staff. Check out their blog. Enjoy - hope you get some good weather - sunny n frosty would be good but alas we're in the Central Belt not the Highlands so maybe not , lol x

• Anonymous
    Anonymous 12/11/2009 20:00 in reply to Susan

Hi there

Thank you for your answers, and I will take note of what has been said by people.

Hi Susan: Lochwinnoch sounds good.  Someone had mentioned to Dave that it is worth a visit at least once.  RSPB Barons Haugh sounds a safe bet too.

We will only have a weekend to walk about and that is our limit - 2 days (and more weekends depending on the arrangements)  We are so unconventional we could go anywhere as that is what we are like.

I think we are going between Norfolk, Glasgow and Bedford the Lodge (this weekend) at the moment

The weather in Glasgow will be frosty indeed - Dave works there during the week and he has mentioned that the weather is a lot chillier than Bedford at the moment.

Thank you {smile}

Regards

Kathy and Dave

Susan said:

Hi Kath,

Don't know how long you'll be in Glasgow or how much time you'll have for birding, but two parks on the South side, Pollock Country park, home of the Burrell Collection and Linn Park  will be worth a walk with your binoculars and camera , both offer good woodland walks.  If you have time you could head for Motherwell half hour from Glasgow to visit RSPB Barons Haugh, we were there yesterday. good variety of duck and a few Whoopers that had just arrived were geting a hard time from resident Mutes. Buzzards suggestions are good and local. Lochwinnoch is a really small reserve with enthusiastic and helpful staff. Check out their blog. Enjoy - hope you get some good weather - sunny n frosty would be good but alas we're in the Central Belt not the Highlands so maybe not , lol x

•  

Hi,

Aberlady bay is worth the drive out from Glasgow in late autumn through to spring  :)

Splendid bird list. It's a big place to cover and needs a day really. Or you could just wander out to Gullane point in winter and check the sea :)

S