A visit to the open day at The Lodge, RSPB Headquarters

Anonymous
Anonymous

Hi There

I had a great 'open'  day a the RSPB Headquarters - though the weather was dull and wet..  We parked at the car park and the bird sound was very apparant to us.  As we we walked to the RSPB shop we saw a Nuthatch sitting on the feeders outside next to the sitting area.  Super to see one so close up as we did.

Lots of Goldfinches flew above our heads as we walked up the path to the RSPB shop.  The Goldfinches landed inn the nearby trees in a group - making all the tinkling noises as they moved about.  Never tire of their calls.

As we walked to the Lodge, past the birdhide, a Jay flew past us in a rush.  It squawked a couple of times before disappearing amongst the conifers in the distance.  I wish i had got a better look at it.  A Yaffle sounded closeby from a Green Woodpecker, then a couple of calls form a Great Spotted Woodpecker.  The area seemed to be full of bird song and lots of bird activity.  Lots of Robins singing to state their territories.  It was although the woodland was echoing with bird song - yes finally Autumn is here.

We had a chat to one or two people that we already knew, and spent a lot of our time watching the birds being ringed at the ringing marqee. It was great to see professional bird ringers doing their job, and it is a valuable one too.

It was super to see the birds so close up and personal.  The Blue Tits where very annoyed at the fact that they where being ringed at all, +and spent their time trying to chew peoples fingers (ouch) They certainly let you know how they felt and they where having none of it!

Blue tits where the most 'popular' bird along with the Coal Tit and a Female Chaffinch or two.  Two robins looking as handsome as ever. Then A Nuthatch was caught in the mist net, and it was so interesting to see it close up and what a beautiful little birds.  The colouration else something else to see.  I did not realise they have white spots on a Brownish background under their tails. The colours under the bird are just as beautiful to look at.

This is the first time I have seen birds being ringed, and I would love the chance of being able to see it again in the future.

Just a great experience indeed, and well done to all the people who organised the event!!!

Pictures to follow

Regards

Kathy and Dave

• Sounds like you had a lovely time - and what a bonus that so many species made an appearance on the day!  

• Anonymous
    Anonymous 25/10/2009 01:17 in reply to Kezmo

Hi Kezmo

Thank you for your kind comments. i would recommend a bird ringing session anytime.  It is simply one of the most 'interesting' ways to see birds. 

You can tell their sex, age and a whole lot more when you have them in your hand.

The power of nature, and to stroke a Female Chaffinch was just the best anyday.

The whole reserve was full of birds.  It shows that they are all around once more so we can see them in our gardens once more {smile}

Regards

Kathy and Dave

Unknown said:

Sounds like you had a lovely time - and what a bonus that so many species made an appearance on the day!  

• Hi Kathy and Dave,

Glad that you had a great time at the lodge and I bet it was quiet and experience seeing the birds rung and also nice stroking the Chaffinch {smile}

When we over there last year I managed to see a Deer {Roe or Fallow I think} the first one we have ever seen over there,but nothing at all  this year

Nice to hear that there were plenty of birds around in the woods,

Did you maange to see the Hoopoe at all?

Being Happy doesn't mean everythings perfect........

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfections.....

• Anonymous
    Anonymous 25/10/2009 01:56 in reply to Robyn

Hi Robyn

Thank you for your kind comments

No, I did not manage to see the Hoopoe at all {sad}

If only, but it was mentioned a few times between people though as it was an unusal site to many people.

Love to hear about your deer stories.  We saw Muntjac deer earlier in the year, and they where not bothered about your presence at all.  They stood and looked at you instead!

Maybe the Hoopoe might come back, one never knows!

Regards

Kathy and Dave

Robyn R said:

Hi Kathy and Dave,

Glad that you had a great time at the lodge and I bet it was quiet and experience seeing the birds rung and also nice stroking the Chaffinch {smile}

When we over there last year I managed to see a Deer {Roe or Fallow I think} the first one we have ever seen,but nothing this year

Nice to hear that there were plenty of birds around in the woods,

Did you maange to see the Hoopoe at all?

• Anonymous
    Anonymous 25/10/2009 16:38 in reply to Anonymous

Some pictures that we took of the occasion.

The Daily notice board of bird species

Blue Tit.and what a cross little bird - they like fingers a lot! ouch

• Anonymous
    Anonymous 25/10/2009 16:45 in reply to Anonymous

A Female chaffinch who was very laid back about the occasion

A Coal Tit who was very photogenic

Coal Tit once more showing its age by the markings on its wings.

Blue tit and Coal tit together

• Anonymous
    Anonymous 25/10/2009 16:53 in reply to Anonymous

Nuthatch and what a find he was - so pleased to see one so close up  If you look at their feet they are something else!

• Blackbird I thought your write up was great but these pictures are absolutely wonderful - I would be so frightened to handle these tiny birds as they do to ring them - you really captured the moment!  Thank you.

• Anonymous
    Anonymous 26/10/2009 01:55 in reply to lucybob

Hi Lucybob

Thank you for your kind remarks about my report and my photographs.

Yes, the bird ringing was just the best,  I would recommend it to any bird lover.

I left just after 2pm in the afternoon.  At 3pm odd, I just found out that 2 Ravens and a Peregrine where seen passing through the same RSPB Reserve - blast it!

Never mind - another day perhaps our timing will be better.

Regards

Kathy and Dave

lucybob said:

Blackbird I thought your write up was great but these pictures are absolutely wonderful - I would be so frightened to handle these tiny birds as they do to ring them - you really captured the moment!  Thank you.

• Excellent pics and 'report' Blackbird! Looked to be a wonderful day! Wish we had an RSPB reserve a bit closer (in Shrosphire as there are none currently...). I think the nearest is Lake Vyrnwy! Love the board write-up too!

"All weeds are flowers, once you get to know them" (Eeyore)

My photos on Flickr