A visit to the Ythan Estuary Pt.1 - July 2024

Just got back from a visit to Newburgh and the Ythan estuary, Newburgh, Aberdeenshire. I've been looking at the nearby hotel for several weeks as well as noticing many photographs online from the estuary so, off we went on Sunday, back today. It's only a 1.5 hour drive for us so no real hassle at all and I must say, we will be going back.

The Newburgh Inn is a short walk from the beach so was perfect for us and the prices are pretty good, good food, nice staff, we'll probably stay there again too. But, the beach, the river, the nature reserve! Loved it all. Part of the reserve is currently roped off for Tern breeding but a loop walk was 3.8 miles including the most beautiful, deserted beach with Grey Seals popping up to investigate us all the way along to the haul out where there are a few hundred of them every day.

Forvie Nature Reserve, runs by NatureScot is just on the outskirts of Newburgh and we enjoyed our 3.8 mile walk there, looking forward to a few more.

I'm going to add photos as I get them edited so, in the order I took them Slight smile

We arrived mid day on the Sunday and walked into town just to see what there was shops-wise - One general store, then off to the estuary and the beach.

It's a half mile walk to the beach, a little less to the estuary via the golf course and they're currently adding a decked walkway which will make it more accessible, we chose to go over the dunes first, a bit more of a hike but it was a beautiful day and there's loads to see, LOTS of butterflies around at the moment.

Down onto the sandy beach eventually for a wander and explore. A beautiful, soft sand beach, the river flowing by to the sea and wonderful sand dunes on the opposite bank, where the birds nest and the reserve is.

Area explored, we went back for dinner, a wee drink maybe and bed.

First thing in the morning, I'm up, off and out.

Black-headed gull foraging

A group of mixed aged Common Gulls

A small sample of the Eiders on the estuary

There are, of course, a LOT of gulls of many varieties, the sea is a few hundred yards away so it's good to see and hear them in their natural environment, not a McDonalds car park Wink

Black-headed gull foraging

Black-headed Gull passing by

A few Oystercatchers on the far bank

A family? of Sandwich Terns

I think I read that four species of Tern breed here.

A camouflage of Dunlin

One of the other reasons the estuary is well know, is the colony of Grey seals that use it to haul out and doze on.

A rare lone Grey seal

I've said rare because there are SO many on the river and its banks, it is rare to see only one Smile

Remember I mentioned camouflage?

I stood a few yards from a group like this on Wednesday morning and didn't notice them! 

And there's the sea ....... in the background Wink

So, I finally made it from the estuary itself out to the mouth area where the seals hang out but, I'm going to save them for later.

I've added this last shot of a group of mixed gulls with what I think is a young Black-backed dozing amongst them. Anyone like to agree / disagree? I'm not that good at gulls.

There are a few more shots to edit yet!!!!! I'll add them and finish this off asap.