Where to see wildlife in Cornwall.

Hi all. I am José, from Madrid, and I have been in UK several times and really love the way you British manage and respect wildlife.

I feel really lucky because next summer I will spend 3 nights at Skokholm Island, so I am now preparing my trip. I will travel with my motorbike fast through France and then take a Ferry from Roscoff to Plymouth.

I will stay in Cornwall for 7 days, then go to Marloes for the stay in Skokholm and lately I will jump to Dublin to pick my wife and continue travelling together through South Ireland. So I will be in Cornwall alone for 6 days, quietly enjoying my hobbies in nature, walking, looking for wildlife and taking photos. And of course also enjoyng the towns and the people. I have chosen Cornwall because I have never been there and I feel attracted by this region.

So please, would you be so kind to tell me those points that I cannot miss in Cornwall to spot for birds and other wildlife?. It will be a great help to prepare my trip. Thank you.

• Hola. Which month in Summer? Any species in particular you would want to see e.g. choughs? I am more familiar with South Devon.....and am actually in Plymouth for a few nights this month.

Not sure when I'll next be online, but hopefully with a bit more info, someone will be able to suggest places. Marazion and Hayle are the two most obvious places, depending on which month. Hopefully you won't be here during school holidays, as roads in Cornwall (and South Devon) can be a nightmare.
  • I've no experience of the best places to see wildlife in Cornwall, there are marshes close to the A30 by the Hayle & St Ives junction.

There is also a small marsh reserve at Marazion (the nearest parking and access place for the very popular St Michael's Mount), but the roads there are narrow and will get very busy during the peak holiday season, which is typically June to August.

As already mentioned, the roads can be a nightmare during the peak holiday season, though currently, the A30, which is main road through Cornwall is undergoing the final stages of a major revamp. The last section nearing completion, was due to be completed by December 2023, but the latest update suggests the end of March 2024.

Fingers crossed, because that will ease a lot of the holiday traffic headaches.....