Sunshine.... Day off...… What could be better??

So, day off Tuesday, forecast fog early but clearing. Back, playing up still after tumble, as I'm a doctor as I watched an episode of Doctors, I decided I was qualified to say, don't mope about, with a sore back you need to keep it moving.... so I did..... I started at the river, nice and flat, sort of pressed gravel pathway, still a bit murky...

The breakfast menu today includes fish

Down it goes...

Fish? I didn't see any fish? Was there a fish?

I'm not sure what this white stuff on the ground is, but it's darn chilly

Take this side, I'm looking handsome

But I think this is my best side

As it was still a little murky, I decided to go to the seaside, and hope that it was clearer in Weymouth, firstly Radipole (I had a hunch about what I would hopefully see, on a crisp, still morning by the reed beds!!)

Greeted at the entrance by Mr Tufty :o) (it turned out the day was so still I could have filled the reflections thread to overflowing!)

And Mr and Mrs Shelduck were just a few yards away

As was Mr Teal

In this bright light, I always seem to get a problem with red-eye...

Further round the reserve there were fairly distant gadwall and shoveler

And of course, my nemesis, the cormorants

Thanks to Nige for the following ID.... Reed Buntings in abundance.... Does my bum look big in this?

The hunch I had about Radipole was proven correct, with the first sightings by me in an age of Bearded tits... I'm just glad it's digital not film now, would cost a bleedin' fortune to process all the shots I took.... but don't panic dear reader, they're not ALL in this thread!!

Never seen a bird doing a high five before...

There were a pair of Marsh Harriers in the very far distance (only one in the pic tho!)

DUCKKKK!!!!!  No, swan

Talking of duck, Mr Iridescent Bubblehead

And then I encountered a singing LBJ... not what... another reed bunting or a flycatcher perhaps?

Then there was a dashing male

A very friendly Robin

A skinny Stonechat?

And then a few more of a male Bearded (careful you don't type in Breaded...it has a totally different meaning!!) Tit

I stopped in at the visitor centre, and had a coffee, then trundled round to Lodmore (barely 10 minutes away)

First up, a very pale eyed gull

followed shortly after by a little egret … the egret has (almost) landed hehe

A singular avocet, that has apparently been there a little while

On the spit of land, there were 2 snipe, about to be bullied away by a gull

Further round the path, a fabulous fencepost nominee

and another reflective example of nature at it's prettiest

There were a fair few Teal about.... I think you've got something on the end of your nose!!

And a lot of snipe

There were again a twosome of marsh harriers... not sure if the same two as at Radipole, as it's not very far away

Time was ticking on by now, so I decided to head home, but as I had to pass the river and the light was different, I thought well, why not...so I sopped in for half hour....

Not sure the fish can read the sign!

And so ended a fabulously marvellous day!!

• Wow PB what a splendid set of species and photos, your day turned out rather special after the frosty, misty start. Brilliant pics but especially love the Beardies on the reeds. Poor Avocet looks a bit lonely so hope its buddies joins it shortly. Your LBJ is a Dunnock methinks. Your Gull is wearing jewellery ! To get KF's, Beardies, M.Harriers, Stonechats all in one day along with all the other beauties is being rather greedy LOL Next time, you plan a day like that let me know and I'll bring the sandwiches - pity I'm at t'other end of the country !
  • Some absolutely brilliant shots, not that there was a bad one among them.

Lovely capture of the heron having fish for breakie, however, I'm curious, "breaded"..... 

• You certainly managed to fit a lot in for just one day, starting with the successful fisherman. Some excellent sightings and photos, whether relatively common like the Tufties, the much rarer Beardies or the sneaky Snipe.
  • Wow PB - I would be chuffed to bits to have all those sightings in one day, not to mention the lovely shots.. well done!
  • Thanks all...
    Hazel... thanks for LBJ.... I don't think of dunnocks in tree tops, they're always scurrying around ground-feeding in my garden lol I'm planning on heading to the Fleet at Chesil Beach tomorrow, ham and mustard in mine please :o)
    Mike... have you never had breaded tit??...you haven't lived!! (Was my typo in the original text!)
  • Oh, and Tony, if you're reading... no otters for a few days apparently :o(
  • Not sure if I should like or unlike PB, just arrived home after a few days up at Minsmere in gloomy, grey damp weather. Have not checked my pics yet.
    Thats a great thread of pictures in the sunshine though, Tues was sunny here but couldn't get away to Minsmere on time as daughters flight home was delayed and we had no where to dump her dog to get going. Eventually managed 6 Marsh Harrier and a Barn owl in low light just after having closed up the hide windows so no pics.
    Perhaps the Otters are resting up waiting for us to show in a couple of weeks, its all about right time right place. Cheers
  • PimperneBloke said:
    Thanks all...

Mike... have you never had breaded tit??...you haven't lived!! (Was my typo in the original text!)

Like it said, I'm....