BIRDING IN THE TROSSACHS AREA

Hi all,once again wanting to pick a few brains for suggestions. We are just getting ready for our annual winter trip to Northumberland and starting to think of where to wonder where to go for our Scottish trip. Over the years we have done quite a lot on the West coast of Scotland and into the Cairngorms but never done anything serious in the Trossachs so wondered if anyone had any suggestions for that area. We usually book self catering in just a one base and using the car to get to areas of interest.I'm not up to doing long walks nowadays  but can manage reasonable stuff off the road so any help appreciated.

• Pete, not specifically birding related but Loch Katrine (lochkatrine.com) is worth a visit. There is a lovely steamship that takes you about three quarters of the way up the loch. We then usually cycle (you can hire bikes) back round which takes a couple of hours. The route is not too hilly & anyway for every upslope there is a downslope! As the loch is a water supply for Glasgow, the area is managed by Scottish Water so the cycle route is very quiet (few if any cars) but on nice smooth roads. You could also walk round or presumably use the steamship to return to the start point. It is not far from Callander which could be a good base. Callander is right on the edge of the Trossachs National Park. Ian

• Hi Pete.
    Sadly it’s not an area which I’m very familiar with. I do know that if you’re in that area there’s always the chance of seeing Osprey on the Lochs during the summer, I believe they nest around the area, the famous ones near Aberfoyle where there’s a visitor centre with café, woodland walks, drives etc.
    There’s also Argaty Red Kites (near Doune), where for a small fee you can visit a wildlife hide where the ranger gives a talk and feeds the wild Red Kites. You do get fantastic close up views of the birds as they gather, wait and swoop in for the free grub.
    Also in the area is Flanders Moss which has a wooden walkway around a small area of the moss. On a nice summer day it’s a good place for a few hours watching Dragon and Damsel flies. The usual Stonechats and Pipits can be seen here with sometimes Whinchat (although I’ve only been there at the wrong time of year for Whinchat). There are no toilet facilities there (other than nipping behind a tree when no-ones looking), but the car park is very close to the reserve and the walking is really easy. There’s farmland all around so expect to see the usual farmland birds in the area as well.
    I suppose if you were prepared to drive for an hour or so either way, a visit over to Perth & Kinross to RSPB Loch Leven could easily be done. As with everywhere, it’s a hit or miss whether you’ll see much or not, but there is a nice café there at RSPB Loch Leven, and with the new underpass open, access to the reserve and hides is very easy now. I believe you can also book a mobility scooter there now (or possibly 2) which would make for a very easy and enjoyable trip around part of the Loch. If you plan to do this, do let me know and I can give you a more detailed description of the immediate area and what you’d expect to see, depending on the time of year.
    I do hope that this may be of some help to you.
  • Thanks to you both,Ian & Paul, we think the Callender area will provide a good base and is doable in one day from here in North Yorkshire which is fairly important as I rely on Chris as the driver.