A few days holiday

Hello

We have just returned from a visit to Dorset - it was good to see different birds and countryside.

We saw lots of buzzards, several egrets, a siskin and a chiffchaff (we think) .

There were also lots of goldfinches on the bird feeders - we only get a couple at home - will try sunflower hearts as well as the nyger seed next year

We aren't getting many reed buntings in our garden now - just a couple today.

• Sunflower hearts definitely seem to attract the goldfinches - I have a pair of daily visitors and have never even considered nyjer seed!

Glad you had a good holiday - you must have got some good weather too! I love Dorset.

Strangely I have yet to see a siskin in my garden although I'm told they're very common. Anyone know what they like to eat?

• The weather was awful - it rained all day Friday and Saturday but we still went out for walks .

Luckily it was fine yesterday .

The siskin was in my sisters garden but she hadn't noticed it so not sure if it was a new arrival - it was eating the nyger seeds with the goldfinches.

We haven't seen any at home  - we are on the border of Beds and Herts.

• You sound like you are pretty close to me - I am in Wheathampstead - we are clearly not Siskin Central!

• somethingofadreamer said:
    Strangely I have yet to see a siskin in my garden although I'm told they're very common. Anyone know what they like to eat?

Hi,

Siskin generally breed in forests of spruce and pine so as we are heading into the breeding season May-July you will be lucky to attract them to your garden.

They like to eat seeds from larch, pine and a few other trees. If they visit gardens they will eat peanuts and sunflower seeds.

If you see a small greenish / yellowish bird feeding upside down then you can be pretty sure it is a Siskin as this is one of the characteristics of the species.

Hope this helps!

Regards Buzzard

Nature Is Amazing - Let Us Keep It That Way