Wildlife Photography and camaras

Im going on Holiday on the 10th July and on Saturday me and Dad are going to be decideing what camara I’m gong to get  on Amazon to get it delivered in time for the holiday 

I still havnt decided on a model cause there’s so many and one model seems to have different say bursts per second, iso levels etc to another.

Iv used camaras since I was 12 so have lots of experience in photography but have never used DSLRs or Mirrorless camaras before so don’t know what there like in Wildlife Photography so I thought I’d ask what peoples experiences are in Wildlife Photography in DSLR and Mirrorless in both  full frame and crop factor Nikon and Canon camaras 

What are anyones exspeariances with certain Canon and Nikon camaras in Wildlife Photography like  speed, burst rate, battery life and other important factors? 

• Ok, so that Aberg one I think has a 6x crop, so the full-frame equivalent focal length would be around 270mm (45mmx6). A 300mm lens on a Canon crop sensor body (1.6x) is 480mm FF equivalent ie gives you more reach (and far higher quality). Only you can say if that's enough (though in all honesty I think all of on here would go for longer, but your budget probably won't stretch to it)

___

Find me on Flickr / All about your camera - The Getting off Auto Index

• Unknown said:
    Ok, so that Aberg one I think has a 6x crop, so the full-frame equivalent focal length would be around 270mm (45mmx6). A 300mm lens on a Canon crop sensor body (1.6x) is 480mm FF equivalent ie gives you more reach (and far higher quality). Only you can say if that's enough (though in all honesty I think all of on here would go for longer, but your budget probably won't stretch to it)

Thanks. And thanks for the other help and advice you have given me aswell. Cause I hadn’t chosen yet but know what I need I wrote down the specifications of some of the Nikon and canon camaras not for exstra features but so I can see if it has the things for my style of photography.

I wrote the canon and Nikons down I have enough for in the range of 100 to 300 pounds before I went to go and look with Dad and buy the camara I need. It took longer than I expected. me and Dad were doing things separately. I was looking for lenses and dad was looking at the models. I was going to decide on a lense then join him so we don’t have to look for one later but 

I struggled concentrate cause he kept thinking out loud so I just decided to do the camara first and Mum wanted us both to look together. Mum wanted us to get it bought but We had to go out somewhere so did it after we came back it took a few hours to decide which is best budget wise aswell as still having the things I need but eventually we bought one online  however I turned out to be a mirorless rather than DSLR.  

The camara went with the lens so got both together rather than separately cause the one without a lens had sold out and we didn’t have much time. 

• Thanks to everyone else on this Thread for your help and advice aswell
  • Zo Clark said:
    but eventually we bought one online  however I turned out to be a mirorless rather than DSLR

So what did you buy Zo?

___

• Unknown said:
    Zo Clark said:
    but eventually we bought one online  however I turned out to be a mirorless rather than DSLR

So what did you buy Zo?

I bought a M series camara Out of the two I was going to get there was lots of confusion around which of the two models In the M series I was chooseing from would be best cause there very similar even though they have some differances.

I don’t think Dadbquiet understood the term mirrorless, DSLR and viewfinder he thought a viewfinder is the screen and you pull it out like on a camcorder on the mirrorless. whereas the other model without a viewfinder doesn’t have that. I told  Dad most camaras have viewfinders and he said no they dont. 
    I had to point out to him if it was a crop sensor cause he didn’t know the terms for crop sensor and non crop sensor on camaras and ask does it have this or that on each of those two models.

It was hard working with him cause he doesn’t know much about DSLRs and mirrorless and don’t know things like ffps and other important things in looking for 

I was going to go for M50 one of the reasons being the higher frame rate but ended up got with the newer one 

with the lenses when I was going to get one separately Dad said I need to get one that fits the camera. So we looked for those but the range was more limited. The M model I chose without the lens was cheaper but sold out so we got the one with the lens that was more expensive over 300 but not 400 and will be getting a separate lens another time 

• The lens that came with it is 15 to 45 mm and Cause the camara doesnt have a viewfinder im hopeing to get one for it. But it needs to be compatible with the M model luckily I know what it is I just need to save enough money for it. Dad is buying a memory card for the camara and the Royal Mail are picking the camara up tomarow we are hopeing to get the camera Next  week so that it’s ready for when I go on holiday the week after.  Its a crop sensor. Mirorless camara rather than full frame mirorless camara 

It is a dual pixel CMOS sensor the sensor size is 22.3 mm x 14. 9 APS -C it has 24.2 megapixels 9fps but 7 with auto focus
    30 s to 1/4000 s Shutter speeds

• That's good, hopefully it will do everything you need - you're probably right to look out for the viewfinder attachment, it will make life easier with wildlife, it's not always easy tracking stuff with a long lens using the screen on the back! The M-mount doesn't have a huge range of lenses to choose from, but there is an EF/M-mount adapter allowing you to choose an EF lens for the M series body if you wish - that opens up a lot more choice should you need it. Good luck!

___

• Unknown said:
    That's good, hopefully it will do everything you need - you're probably right to look out for the viewfinder attachment, it will make life easier with wildlife, it's not always easy tracking stuff with a long lens using the screen on the back! The M-mount doesn't have a huge range of lenses to choose from, but there is an EF/M-mount adapter allowing you to choose an EF lens for the M series body if you wish - that opens up a lot more choice should you need it. Good luck!

Thanks. The camara has arived at home ready for when I go home and go on holiday Dad sent me a photo of it 

• I asked Dad if he can check if it’s in good condition and it is This is the camara and lens out of the package 

• Glad you got sorted Zo. Try to get some practice in if you can then you're ready for your holls. Enjoy ... Thumbsup