Swifts

First five swifts spotted today at about 1pm then a few more at 5pm, in Belmont Ave, Billingham Teesside. They are really late for us this year.  They come and nest in our street every year.  I was so excited.  I stood grinning inanly watching the sky when my neighbour upstairs (I live in a ground floor flat) came running out saying 'Are they here? Are they here?'  The new neighbours next door must've worried about who they had moved next too!!  Crazy women! lol.

Two years ago we rescued a baby swift that had dislocated his wing. What a fantastic priviledge that was. The rescue guy we took him to, up in Newcastle, said that 'Swifty' would find his way back to where he was born. And as I watch them, I hope he did and wonder if he remembers the two ladies who kept him safe from their cats and got up to feed him every two hours during the night for two nights. It would be nice to think so. :-)

• Gary M said:

Hi deejay

I have seen either a swift or swallow nest in the eves of a large private house. I would like to try to photograph these lovely fast moving birds but do I stand on the pavement or tell the homeowner what I am trying to do. I dont want to worry someone in the house standing outside with a camera.

Hi,mitch.I would always knock.You could always encourage them to take interest in the treasure they have if they dont already.Luckily,our swifts are in a disused church so access is no problem.However,when I take pictures with my cheap camera--- lots of empty sky shots.I havent taken pictures when theyre leaving or returning as I wouldnt want to spook them with FLASH in low light conditions.

• Personally, I would knock and tell them what your doing. Then no-one will be worried. I hope you get some great photos. You'll have to share them with us all. xx

Gary M said:

Hi deejay

I have seen either a swift or swallow nest in the eves of a large private house. I would like to try to photograph these lovely fast moving birds but do I stand on the pavement or tell the homeowner what I am trying to do. I dont want to worry someone in the house standing outside with a camera.

• Had up to 12 screaming round the market square here in Ripon,great sight and sound

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• Just arrived back in Glasgow today (from Canada) and had a look but none as yet (although it was pouring), anyone got any in Scotland now?

Cheers

DPC

"dawn is mine, but I will share it, with whatever bird will wear it"

• Don't forget we'd like to hear about where you've seen screaming swifts or a swift nest site. Report your sightings here.

Claire

• Deirdre S said:

First five swifts spotted today at about 1pm then a few more at 5pm, in Belmont Ave, Billingham Teesside. They are really late for us this year.  They come and nest in our street every year.  I was so excited.  I stood grinning inanly watching the sky when my neighbour upstairs (I live in a ground floor flat) came running out saying 'Are they here? Are they here?'  The new neighbours next door must've worried about who they had moved next too!!  Crazy women! lol.

Two years ago we rescued a baby swift that had dislocated his wing. What a fantastic priviledge that was. The rescue guy we took him to, up in Newcastle, said that 'Swifty' would find his way back to where he was born. And as I watch them, I hope he did and wonder if he remembers the two ladies who kept him safe from their cats and got up to feed him every two hours during the night for two nights. It would be nice to think so. :-)

I am Bournemouth born and raised.  Now at the age of 62 I have an observation to make. 

When I was small up to about 9 years old Swifts used to nest above the Post Office in Post Office Road, Bournemouth.  One of my delights was to visit Bournemouth with my Grandmother.  We would walk from Malmesbury Park Road to the Square.   Sometimes she would stop at the Post Office and we would watch the swifts fly over.     Sadly now this has all changed as Bournemouth slowly became a metropolis.

The last Swifts I saw were about 5 years ago when I lived at the Broads Wimborne and they were prevelant there.

Deirdre S said:

• Hi Mrs T

Just filled in the form as I heard some screaming swifts on Sat am. Looking forward to hearing them here in our village soon, they are here but just not v noisey yet.

My query, problem is that I was unable to change the year - the form still has 2010, which is fine as they were there then. Either I'm being daft - not a 1st or its a year out.

'In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks'  John Muir.       

Excuse wobbily dyslexic spelling!

• Cue fanfare....!

Another on-time arrival by Swifts in my village - It's always the second week of May.

Every day a little more irate about bird of prey persecution, and I have a cat - Got a problem with that?

• We  were watching the Swifts in the market place again this morning,screaming around like super active kids in the playground fantastic to watch,almost makes shopping bearable

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• See my previous posts.  Well the swifts arrived yesterday in Sunderland, we think they have accepted my handiwork cutting the slot in the eaves, hopefully we will have t a nest for the 23rd year in a row :-)