Swifts

First five swifts spotted today at about 1pm then a few more at 5pm, in Belmont Ave, Billingham Teesside. They are really late for us this year.  They come and nest in our street every year.  I was so excited.  I stood grinning inanly watching the sky when my neighbour upstairs (I live in a ground floor flat) came running out saying 'Are they here? Are they here?'  The new neighbours next door must've worried about who they had moved next too!!  Crazy women! lol.

Two years ago we rescued a baby swift that had dislocated his wing. What a fantastic priviledge that was. The rescue guy we took him to, up in Newcastle, said that 'Swifty' would find his way back to where he was born. And as I watch them, I hope he did and wonder if he remembers the two ladies who kept him safe from their cats and got up to feed him every two hours during the night for two nights. It would be nice to think so. :-)

• Wow I'm glad they're finally arriving, I've still only seen one and no more :/ I'm even seeing Swallows everywhere but no Swifts... they're one of my favourite birds, I wish I could rescue a Swift!! Are they soft? LOL

I love Columbidae.

• Yes, they are soft. Like silk.  They really are the sweetest birds. The one drawback is the louse flies that live on them,  they're horrible spider like looking parasites. They can't hurt you but can give you a fright if you pick a swift up and are not prepared to see one.  

• Deirdre S said:

First five swifts spotted today at about 1pm then a few more at 5pm, in Belmont Ave, Billingham Teesside. They are really late for us this year.  They come and nest in our street every year.  I was so excited.  I stood grinning inanly watching the sky when my neighbour upstairs (I live in a ground floor flat) came running out saying 'Are they here? Are they here?'  The new neighbours next door must've worried about who they had moved next too!!  Crazy women! lol.

Two years ago we rescued a baby swift that had dislocated his wing. What a fantastic priviledge that was. The rescue guy we took him to, up in Newcastle, said that 'Swifty' would find his way back to where he was born. And as I watch them, I hope he did and wonder if he remembers the two ladies who kept him safe from their cats and got up to feed him every two hours during the night for two nights. It would be nice to think so. :-)

I heard swifts yesterday at about 7pm in Leigh-on-Sea in Essex. I rushed outside and saw about 6 flying about. It's always exciting. They are a few days earlier than last year.

• We have had swifts nest in our eaves for about 20 odd years, but this year we got new plastic eaves put up, and they covered up where the swifts always nested.  So today i bought a ladder and went up and cut the plastic away to reveal the old opening, i hope i am not too late for our swifts, ive not seen them yet up in Sunderland.  Will keep you informed.

• Hi all.

Just spent the afternoon round at my Mum and Dads and spent the whole time in their back garden watching the Swifts fly overhead feeding on the flying insects, counted up to 11 at one time. Great to see them arriving at last.

Feed The Birds....not the cats!!!!

I know....my spelling's crap !!

• First one spotted here in Llantwit Fardre this afternoon .. can't wait to see them over the house again!

Ant

"IT IS SAID THAT LIFE FLASHES BEFORE YOUR EYES BEFORE YOU DIE. THAT IS TRUE, IT'S CALLED LIVING."
    Death - Terry Pratchett (The Last Continent).

• Sorry for the random question but can swifts etc. eat the louseflies off themselves? LOL

Also I've just seen about five swifts over my house!! I'm excited now!

I love Columbidae.

• Was out + about early yesterday morning ferrying children + ended up in Rothbury amongst (lots of other places). Got out the car with DS1 to the chrill screems of between a dozen + 20 swifts, looked up + there they were above the roof tops quite high!! How amazing was that!! That sound is so thrilling. Thought that would be the end of swifts for a wee while as we only get a few in the village. Then in the evening as I was lighting the BBQ was a solitar bird slowly + quite low wheeling around between the trees infront of the garden, not a sound but I'm sure it would have had quite a bit to feed on after the rain we have had. 

Definately a sound of summer for me + has to be enjoyed every time you here them as they are around for such a wee while, tend to see the last one around DS2's birthday mid Aug!!

'In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks'  John Muir.       

Excuse wobbily dyslexic spelling!

• Hi deejay

I have seen either a swift or swallow nest in the eves of a large private house. I would like to try to photograph these lovely fast moving birds but do I stand on the pavement or tell the homeowner what I am trying to do. I dont want to worry someone in the house standing outside with a camera.

• I have also seen Swifts and Swallows above my house and around my local patch. They are wonderfully agile flyers

Best wishes Chris

Click Here to see my photos