Swallow

I've just seen my first swallow in Mid-Devon - sure they may have been around for a while but it's my first glimpse. Love those swallows:-)))

• Well done Kezmum with your sighting. They are super birds to watch with all their areobatics in the sky

Dave was saying that he thought that it is taking a while for the Swallows to emerge this year for some reason or another.

I posted a thread on here to state that our neighbour has a Swallow box and now the box is occupied - this only occured yesterday.  Love their 'way' 'way' 'way' calls when I go past to the shops

Regards

Kathy and Dave

Kezsmum said:

I've just seen my first swallow in Mid-Devon - sure they may have been around for a while but it's my first glimpse. Love those swallows:-)))

• Saw my first last tuesday, they do seem later this year. Now looking forward to the swifts, which are amongst my favourite birds.

A thing of beauty is a joy forever.

• Hi Kezsmum, I saw my first Swallow on friday at Southwold, Suffolk. Lovely to see them again isn't it ;-))

Feed The Birds....not the cats!!!!

I know....my spelling's crap !!

• They are beginning to spread around the country now we even had quite a few up in the dales area yesterday

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• Oh yes a great sight means Summer is almost here. What would we do without the pleasure of our feathered friends

Of all creatures, man is the most detestable, he is the only creature that inflicts pain for sport, knowing it to be pain.
    ~ Mark Twain

• I have swallows nest at my house -in the passageway- most years and have had fresh bird poo appear in there overnight for the last two days. This morning a male was circling and singing overhead. It brought tears to my eyes. Such little birds and such a long journey full of peril. Glad they are 'home' safely for another Summer.

CJ

• Hi Kezsmum

I was also lucky enough to see my first swallows down in Devon I also clocked some house martins on the border of Devon and Somerset on the journey home this morning. By the way congratulations on your Good Egg award, I missed it when you got it :o)

Shane

Regards Shane

My Photos in Flickr.

• First quick glimpse of a swallow a week past Wed as it qietly headed north, seen a few since even settled on a telegraph wire!! Wonderful.

First sand martins a week past Fri, over the Coquet. Had a wonderful time yesterday when we saw lots + lots of sandies, down by the sea shore, love the sound they make.

No House martins yet!!

'In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks'  John Muir.       

Excuse wobbily dyslexic spelling!

• cjbeady said:

I have swallows nest at my house -in the passageway- most years and have had fresh bird poo appear in there overnight for the last two days. This morning a male was circling and singing overhead. It brought tears to my eyes. Such little birds and such a long journey full of peril. Glad they are 'home' safely for another Summer.

CJ

I know what you mean about the swallows bringing tears to your eyes. I've been ready to cry because in the past they have always arrived on April 7th here in north Pembrokeshire, but so far this year I've not seen any at all. I've been so worried that something had happened to them, especially as I've read about the African desert spreading, and many of their watering places en route drying up. I'm encouraged to read here, though, that it does seem as though they're just late this year, so I do hope they'll show up soon, as I'd be devastated to think  they were never going to return!

• Hi all,

Our swallows here at Kingston-on-Thames arrived on 7th April. Also noted sand and house martins. See my earlier post:-

http://www.rspb.org.uk/community/forums/t/41069.aspx

:-)

Andy

Seriously thinking about trying harder!