Swallow

I've just seen my first swallow in Mid-Devon - sure they may have been around for a while but it's my first glimpse. Love those swallows:-)))

• Unknown said:

I have swallows nest at my house -in the passageway- most years and have had fresh bird poo appear in there overnight for the last two days. This morning a male was circling and singing overhead. It brought tears to my eyes. Such little birds and such a long journey full of peril. Glad they are 'home' safely for another Summer.

CJ

I know what you mean about the swallows bringing tears to your eyes. I've been ready to cry because in the past they have always arrived on April 7th here in north Pembrokeshire, but so far this year I've not seen any at all. I've been so worried that something had happened to them, especially as I've read about the African desert spreading, and many of their watering places en route drying up. I'm encouraged to read here, though, that it does seem as though they're just late this year, so I do hope they'll show up soon, as I'd be devastated to think  they were never going to return!

[/quote]

Hang on in there Rover there is time yet  - I've got four now and I'm running out of hankies!

CJ

• I have seen Swallows at Haldon Hill racecourse since the begining of the month. Nowhere else at first, just there, but we have had Swallows, Martins & Swifts over our house this last week.

Best wishes

Val.

• Thank you for your reply CJ. I'm still on the lookout. I saw one swallow yesterday about ten miles from where I live, and I hear there are a few about ten miles away in another direction - almost ran the car into the hedge when I saw the one!

cjbeady said:

I have swallows nest at my house -in the passageway- most years and have had fresh bird poo appear in there overnight for the last two days. This morning a male was circling and singing overhead. It brought tears to my eyes. Such little birds and such a long journey full of peril. Glad they are 'home' safely for another Summer.

CJ

I know what you mean about the swallows bringing tears to your eyes. I've been ready to cry because in the past they have always arrived on April 7th here in north Pembrokeshire, but so far this year I've not seen any at all. I've been so worried that something had happened to them, especially as I've read about the African desert spreading, and many of their watering places en route drying up. I'm encouraged to read here, though, that it does seem as though they're just late this year, so I do hope they'll show up soon, as I'd be devastated to think  they were never going to return!

[/quote]

Hang on in there Rover there is time yet  - I've got four now and I'm running out of hankies!

CJ

[/quote]

• cjbeady said:

CJ

They've arrived! I thought they'd never come, but this morning I saw four and also four swifts flying around here. A great Mayday present! I wonder why they were so late in coming - by three weeks even!

• I am very concerned that Swallows that have nested where I work for years are not back. Last year they became a problem because there was only 3 people working in the area.  Now there are 70 but they just carried on as normal, I have been there 5 yrs and they have been there for so many years before.  Pest control got involved and the company was told you cannot disturb as they are protected but that they would move the nest after the breeding season..  If so I am gutted as I have not seen a swallow yet. I will not be told as I really told my boss off and I suspect but hope not, no-one dare tell me.  i will let you know.

One question, to be honest should they be back now or is there still time?

• Unknown said:

I am very concerned that Swallows that have nested where I work for years are not back. Last year they became a problem because there was only 3 people working in the area.  Now there are 70 but they just carried on as normal, I have been there 5 yrs and they have been there for so many years before.  Pest control got involved and the company was told you cannot disturb as they are protected but that they would move the nest after the breeding season..  If so I am gutted as I have not seen a swallow yet. I will not be told as I really told my boss off and I suspect but hope not, no-one dare tell me.  i will let you know.

One question, to be honest should they be back now or is there still time?

Hi Bright and Breezy! I do know how you feel, and was devastated when I thought our swallows had failed to return. I'm no expert, so don't know how late in the season they can be expected, but have to say that, even though our swallows did get here finally, there are certainly fewer than in previous years. Maybe those who know more about them can explain why. It could be that your swallows, realizing they weren't welcome, have simply moved house, and are happily raising a family not too far away. Let's hope so, anyway. And yes; please do let us know if they do turn up. Rover