Sighting of a Hoopoe

Yesterday I was surprised to see a Hoopoe lookinig through the window.  It then flew off and pirched onto of a pillar outside the house.  I managed to take a photograph before it few off.  I then went outside and could hear it calling sat on top of the house.  Then it flew off.  WHAT A SIGHTING!!!!!

• Shane said:
    Hi folks posting this using my phone again, we we're at Berry Head again yesterday but didn't see the Hoopoe again, we did put details of the monday sighting in the bird hide looking out on the Guillomots though and added date and place seen. I was lucky enough to get some shots of a male (I think) Wheatear on the walls of the fort though plus distant shots of the guillomots I will post all these on my return. Off to Churston today and then finishing our holiday by visiting Dawlish Sunday to see all the birds in the stream that run through it . Shane

Hi Shane

Great to hear from you...our paths haven't crossed yet ! The ducks in Dawlish are lovely, a real mixture & lots of manky mallards to boot. You could also try going up the hill from Dawlish onto Haldon (10 mins drive) & try out the raptor viewpoint. Enjoy your last few days.

Love Bella & Holly

• clare b said:
    If you see a greying, middle-aged, bossy, rude, patronising couple (her younger, hair in bob, him older, glasses)  lurking round the village give them my 'love' & point them in completely the wrong direction please !

Good plan:-)

• There is a Hoopoe in Beaumaris Anglesey at the moment 16.4.11

Someone has posted a Grid Ref on line, I thought it as quiet ay Conwy this morning

Birdbrain, News at 10, on the opposite side of the Menai Straight

The world was better with Laurel and Hardy

http://www.flickr.com/photos/flasharry2010/

Check out my Flickr and let me know if you like it or not Ta

• Hello Housemartin

Welcome to the forum..How amazing to see such a rare bird in your garden and been quick enough to take such a good photo

I'm very envious lol

Do enjoy your time on here it is a very friendly place to be unlike the couple who were so rude to bella

Kind Regards Kimbo

Feeling More Positive :-)

• Hi Bella we are looking at being in Dawlish from around 10.00 to 1pm either in the area around the stream or on the beach so if your on the area look out for a 6ft man with short ginger hair with wife and two blond haired boys in tow. I know the raptor spot as I remember it being developed when we lived here. The wife and I realised today how much we miss Devon and both Andrew and Steven love it down here too and want to come here again asap. Shane

Regards Shane

My Photos in Flickr.

• Wow that's great! When I went to Lundy Island last month there was one that had landed there. Unfortunately I didn't see it.

Great find :)

• Thats a fantastic sighting House Martin. I have seen them in Corsica, where they are pretty common, but I have only ever seen one once in this Country. To get one in your garden is amazing. Well done for capturing it on film

There are 9000 species of bird on earth. Let's keep it that way.