Sighting of a Hoopoe

Yesterday I was surprised to see a Hoopoe lookinig through the window.  It then flew off and pirched onto of a pillar outside the house.  I managed to take a photograph before it few off.  I then went outside and could hear it calling sat on top of the house.  Then it flew off.  WHAT A SIGHTING!!!!!

• Unknown said:

Welcome to the forum, House Martin.

What a great bird to see from your window. Not many of us will ever get a sight like that in the UK. I wonder if it's the same bird that was seen at Berry Head?

TJ

The Hoopoe was reported again at Berry Head today, in the same place as Shane saw it on Monday. I suppose it could have been at Berry Head on Monday, Kentisbeare on Thursday & back to Berry Head today. Seems a bit unlikely though. In which case there are 2 hoopoes in Devon at the same time.

• WOW thats all I can say  AND WELCOME

Ray

a good laugh is better than a tonic

• clare b said:
    The Hoopoe was reported again at Berry Head today, in the same place as Shane saw it on Monday. I suppose it could have been at Berry Head on Monday, Kentisbeare on Thursday & back to Berry Head today. Seems a bit unlikely though. In which case there are 2 hoopoes in Devon at the same time.

It would be nice if they stayed to breed wouldn't it Bella. There could be some advantages in global warming. They'll probably realise their mistake and nip back across the Channel.

Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• Unknown said:

It would be nice if they stayed to breed wouldn't it Bella. There could be some advantages in global warming. They'll probably realise their mistake and nip back across the Channel.

[/quote]

It would be lovely to have a breeding pair but Berry Head & Kentisbeare are a good 50 miles apart by my reckoning so they'd do well to find each other !

• clare b said:
    I suppose it could have been at Berry Head on Monday, Kentisbeare on Thursday & back to Berry Head today. Seems a bit unlikely though.

Not if it spotted that awful couple you ran into.  I'd fly more than 50 miles to get away from them!

BB

• Badgerbread said:

I suppose it could have been at Berry Head on Monday, Kentisbeare on Thursday & back to Berry Head today. Seems a bit unlikely though.

Not if it spotted that awful couple you ran into.  I'd fly more than 50 miles to get away from them!

BB

[/quote]

Totally agree...maybe it was taking a short break in Kentisbeare in order to avoid them...then returned to Berry Head when the coast was clear.

Checked on  Wildlife sightings in Devon website earlier & Hoopoe not yet reported in Kentisbeare. Don't know whether I should report it or not now...don't want the couple from hell turning up in House Martin's garden, then I'd feel really guilty.

• Hi folks posting this using my phone again, we we're at Berry Head again yesterday but didn't see the Hoopoe again, we did put details of the monday sighting in the bird hide looking out on the Guillomots though and added date and place seen. I was lucky enough to get some shots of a male (I think) Wheatear on the walls of the fort though plus distant shots of the guillomots I will post all these on my return. Off to Churston today and then finishing our holiday by visiting Dawlish Sunday to see all the birds in the stream that run through it . Shane

Regards Shane

My Photos in Flickr.

• Hello Bella

clare b said:
    Checked on  Wildlife sightings in Devon website earlier & Hoopoe not yet reported in Kentisbeare. Don't know whether I should report it or not now...don't want the couple from hell turning up in House Martin's garden, then I'd feel really guilty.

They wouldn't be able to turn up on his private property, but personally I quite like the irony in the idea that they might have to pay if they wanted to see it after behaving like idiots

• I have now reported the signting but have only given Kentisbeare, Devon.

Many thanks

House Martin

• Jill M said:

I have now reported the signting but have only given Kentisbeare, Devon.

Many thanks

House Martin

Good idea ! If you see a greying, middle-aged, bossy, rude, patronising couple (her younger, hair in bob, him older, glasses)  lurking round the village give them my 'love' & point them in completely the wrong direction please !