Young Swallows Left Behind

We had a late swallow nest built in our carport this summer, which produced three fledglings. The parents and one fledgling have now gone, leaving two behind. They can fly well and disappear for the day, but return each night to roost near the nest. We are concerned that these two have missed the migration and will not survive the winter. Are we right to be concerned and if so, is there anything that can be done to help them?

• Thank you Germain, as you mentioned  it makes sense that birds come down the country in stages, to stop for refuelling and rest especially if the weather and the winds are against them.  Good to hear that your numbers from yesterdays count have decreased dramatically proving the swallows are making progress. Counts like this  provide us with such valuable information.

• swallows are making progress

Or the weather's been so poor they haven't attempted the Channel yet?!

• Yes that’s true the weather has been awful with many ferry crossings being cancelled. Incredible to think of these small birds making the crossing!

• Further update - the one we thought had migrated has returned to the carport. In a way I’m glad, as they’re company for one another, but I do hope they find a migrating group soon.

Thanks everyone for your comments - it’s a shame there isn’t a ‘like’ option on them all, as they’re interesting.

• We are in East Anglia and had a very late brood of 3 in our stables - the parents and one sibling left about a week ago and left 2 behind.  Tonight there is just one - is there still some hope it will join a group and migrate? It looks so sad on its own this evening and I’m so worried about the poor thing. We have a real colony of many families every summer so it’s sad to see it left all alone.  Have your two left yet Ramlen?

• Final update: After the second swallow fledgling returned, they both roosted near the nest overnight and remained for 4 days, but now both have gone. It’s been 5 days now and they haven’t returned, so we’re hoping they’ve joined a larger group that was spotted nearby and have now migrated.

Thank you everyone who has shared their own experiences and for the advice and information. It’s great to know so many are looking out for our little seasonal visitors! RelaxedHeart