Which bird is Europe's most popular migratory bird?

Which bird is Europe's most popular migratory bird? Is it a cuckoo, swift, swallow or maybe an other bird? What is your favourite?

On www.Birdingplaces.eu they organize a nice migratory bird competition. You can choose your 3 favourite birds. And you can also predict the number 1 bird,

• Afternoon from Switzerland.
    What's your connection with the project, Chris?

I checked your map for the sites I know locally (so, within four hours' drive or so), and it's pretty accurate. Are these user posts, some kind of extract from ornitho databases, or a mix of both.

Best regards -
    Dave (CH)
  • In reply to Dave - CH:

Hi Dave

All areas are added by local birders. So it's not extracted from other sources, but unique info you won't find somewhere else, The depth of info is depending on how much a birder wants to share or how much time he wants to spend on writing a description. So some areas have a long and detailed description, some a shorter, but to become published an area has to have all the basic and necessary info a birder needs for a visit. Including a map.

By the way, it's easy to add an area yourself, just click on 'add a birdingplace' and 8 steps guide you through the process.

Best regards
    Chris
  • In reply to Chris :

Thanks Chris; and you're part of the website project?

Best regards -
    Dave
  • I've got a not inconsiderable soft spot for ospreys ........ but I also love terns, swallows, martins, swifts, hobby, cuckoo. And that's just the summer migrants!! Winter ........... whooper and Bewick's swan, smew, scaup, goosander, hen harrier.  And not forgetting the short-eared owl.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• In reply to Dave - CH:

Yes I contribute to the website a lot and try to promote it where possible :-)
  • In reply to Chris :

Excellent. Well, good luck. Will be a change from consulting old, out-of-print copies of Helm's Guides, only to find that Spanish wetlands have been converted into year-round strawberry farms (etc.).

When I've a moment, I'll update the Swiss and Italian maps with our places.

All the best -
    Dave
  • In reply to Dave - CH:

Haha, yes I know the problem of outdated printed guides all to well. Would be great if you could add some new areas on the map!