2015 Swifts

Continuation of 2012 Swifts from here ...... http://www.rspb.org.uk/community/wildlife/f/1916/t/79001.aspx?pi2132219858=1#945786 

Greenbird posted this today .....

'Spotted my local swifts (Cardiff) at about 5.00pm today. As this is their usual date to show up, I've been keeping my eyes peeled for them. Nothing - hadn't seen a single one till 5.00pm.

Summer's here! Which of course means a couple of weeks of cold wet weather to come.....'

To which I replied .....

'Well that's good news GB about the return of your Swifts but not about the awful weather to come!!

I am going to start a new thread for sightings & general news updates for all our Swifts as this current thread is one that has been corrupted by removed posts & does not open when 'last post' is selected ... It involves starting from beginning of 10 pages & scrolling through to the end each & every time a post is made!

There will be a link from here to new thread & a similar one in new thread so that all this info does not sink without trace & I shall copy your post over!'

Now all I need is for some kind soul to make my links 'posh' ones!!

• Watched that GB, also the previous ones about the flat fly, gruesome looking things!!  Still none screaming over mine & only seen a few in my travels ... sad!

• Cant believe i'm saying this but its that time when large gatherings of Swifts start to show and tonight i saw a 30 bird swarm screaming above my house in Exmouth. Cant believe they are starting to head south already!!! The most I've seen together this summer fantastic sight but......  

• The breeding Swifts are usually mostly gone from round here by the end of July :( though you'd reckon to see migrants from further north going through now and then for a while yet. One year I saw my last Swift and first Redwing on the same October day.

• Yes aiki, we'll see northern birds trickle through from know on, but the local breeding birds were going about their normal business without any incomers this week. It was so noticeable tonight seeing such a large group overhead which weren't our "locals", heading south. It seamed only yesterday they were all arriving. We are heading the wrong way!! :(

• Talking of Swifts on the move, we have plenty over the estate but as I left for work this morning at 2.30am I heard Swifts calling in the dark that was a first for me.

• Hi Shane very interesting i've not had that experience. Im out Moth Trapping tonight must keep my ears open....

• No calling this morning at 02.30 and yesterday was just a couple of short bursts I wondered if it was a youngster seeking reassurance from its parents? No sign of them moving on yet which is nice , there all very quiet while flying around at the moment but as its raining it hardly surprising.

I hope you have a good time moth trapping tonight and are also lucky enough to hear the Swifts in the dark.

• No Swifts heard gennie running in the background!! but as we were trapping on the edge of heathland two Nightjars seen and heard, Tawny owls male and female heard in the woods before we started. 50+ Swifts over Exmouth this morning moving south in the heavy rain. Not surprising they are heading south!! Trapping went very well plenty of Moths coming to the light including biting midges!! See Mostly Moths with an update on last nights trapping.  

• Were down in Devon staying at Shaldon in September and the wife and I are having at least one day out without the boys. Can you recommend any good places to see nature of all kinds?

• Still a few stragglers going through, saw one last evening over Exmouth. Another birder saw a Peregrine take one over Bowling Green Marsh yesterday evening. A young bird or a tired bird?