Peregrine?

Hello, this flew over my house earlier and the starlings went absolutely crazy. I’m sure it’s a peregrine but I couldn’t see the colour because the sky was bright

• It looks like a Falcon shape to me but not sure which one

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• In reply to Seaman:

That’s what I was thinking. I’m sure it’s not a kestrel though as the tail isn’t long enough
  • Just looking on tablet screen but I would saw either Peregrine or Hobby but difficult to judge size against a clear sky

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• Peregrine for me. Bit chunky for any of the likely alternatives
  • Judging a lone bird silhouetted against a bright sky at awkward angles is always a difficult task.

And here, the tail 'could' be longer as it could be the angle of the photograph taken.

The head 'could' be chunkier - again, the brightness of the sky could affect the bird's actual shape and structure.

Most of these identifications can be guessed at with what appears to be the bird's 'actual' features and you could be happy with that educated guess but really if you didn't hear it call, noted any other behaviour - including flight pattern (Kestrel's would obviously include 'hovering') - or any part of its jizz then you'll just have to put it down as unidentified.
  • In reply to rspbailey:

I agree with those points Rsp but I have found in the past that people will often accept whatever i.d given if it suits their purpose. I'm not that is the case here. Sometimes if people are keen to add to their year / life list they may accept dodgy i.d.'s.

Pete

• Hi

it's difficult when it isn't moving- flight action would confirm it-

I'd say probably 75% Peregrine on shape

S

For advice about Birding, Identification,field guides,  binoculars, scopes, tripods,  etc - put 'Birding Tips'   into the search box

• Hello Ellis,
    Good presence of mind to get a photo. Two even.
    If I'd seen those silhouettes, I'd also be asking myself whether it was a Peregrine.
    That said, I'm the least experienced of all the posters here.

What did you actually see (I found your recent description of a bird that other Community member IDed as a Common Buzzard very interesting)? I'm guessing that the bird was silent, right?

As seymouraves helpfully points out, how the bird flew could help rule out other species that you might confuse with a Peregrine.

But maybe you didn't take notes. I read recently the advice, photograph or observe; you can't do both at the same time.

Anyway, you saw the bird; we've all only got the photos. So how did the bird behave?

Starlings going crazy isn't proof one way or another. As your average starling lives his or her life around one sixteenth of an inch below actually certifiable, it doesn't take very much to tip one over the edge... ;-)

All the best -
    Dave