Peregrine?

• If this doesn’t work, I’ll upload it to YouTube. Sometimes I feel a bit out of depth on this forum; I’m just a lad with a pair of binoculars, I’ve not got years of experience so I try my hardest. I’m also not a birder that just wants to do it for the point of getting a tick on their list, I just enjoy watching nature do its thing 
    Luckily, I videoed it too so here it is 

Thanks 

• In reply to Dave - CH:

Yeah it didn’t make much noise but the flight was direct and fast. I think the video might help.
    Thanks for being nice anyway
  • In reply to Seaman:

It was the first time I’d seen one this year. As I mentioned, I’m not really bothered about life lists or year lists, I just like to watch nature
  • As said Ellis not aiming at you just a general remark from what we see and hear out there

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• Looks a Peregrine on the youtube clip

S

For advice about Birding, Identification,field guides,  binoculars, scopes, tripods,  etc - put 'Birding Tips'   into the search box

• In reply to ellis187:

If a relative beginner (and you've often said you're one) comes onto a forum looking for help and encouragement but just ends up feeling put off, something's wrong. And most of the time it's not the beginner. It's in the forum.

Dave
  • Video. Great.

Flies like a Peregrine for me.

I'm not (at all) an experienced Peregrine watcher, but they're pretty much all I've seen virtually every day for the last three months. Around eight nesting sites. From every angle. In every position. Including *** in the air (the falcon; not me) like a duck while the eggs were hatching.

I've been surprised at how many different shapes they can make, and how many different flight styles they can adopt under various circumstances.

Pretty cool to have a Peregrine over the house.
    A few years ago we had the youngsters down here daily, once they'd begun spreading out. Nice to be able to watch them from the kitchen sink.

All the best Ellis -
    Dave
  • After watching the video I too would say Peregrine. Dave from what you say you have been up to recently you probably have a better idea than most of us on the forum. We were out in our moorland patch on Sunday and found the first live Peregrine nest we have seen this year and I'm not convinced about the safety of that one.

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• Well, definitely 'quick' and 'flappy' - I think the technical terms are - but, for me, I'd need more details from the bird itself.

The candidates are Peregrine, Kestrel and Hobby - with Peregrine the most likely.

But it's one thing trying to identify what it 'could' be - but I think it's also necessary to prove what it isn't.

I can't - maybe others can.

But Ellis, never feel 'out of your depth' on here as all birders are still learning - and guess how they learn more about birds and birding? From other birders.