Peregrine?

Hello, this flew over my house earlier and the starlings went absolutely crazy. I’m sure it’s a peregrine but I couldn’t see the colour because the sky was bright

• It looks like a Falcon shape to me but not sure which one

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• That’s what I was thinking. I’m sure it’s not a kestrel though as the tail isn’t long enough
  • Just looking on tablet screen but I would saw either Peregrine or Hobby but difficult to judge size against a clear sky

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• Peregrine for me. Bit chunky for any of the likely alternatives
  • Judging a lone bird silhouetted against a bright sky at awkward angles is always a difficult task.

And here, the tail 'could' be longer as it could be the angle of the photograph taken.

The head 'could' be chunkier - again, the brightness of the sky could affect the bird's actual shape and structure.

Most of these identifications can be guessed at with what appears to be the bird's 'actual' features and you could be happy with that educated guess but really if you didn't hear it call, noted any other behaviour - including flight pattern (Kestrel's would obviously include 'hovering') - or any part of its jizz then you'll just have to put it down as unidentified.
  • I agree with those points Rsp but I have found in the past that people will often accept whatever i.d given if it suits their purpose. I'm not that is the case here. Sometimes if people are keen to add to their year / life list they may accept dodgy i.d.'s.

Pete

• Hi

it's difficult when it isn't moving- flight action would confirm it-

I'd say probably 75% Peregrine on shape

S

For advice about Birding, Identification,field guides,  binoculars, scopes, tripods,  etc - put 'Birding Tips'   into the search box

• If this doesn’t work, I’ll upload it to YouTube. Sometimes I feel a bit out of depth on this forum; I’m just a lad with a pair of binoculars, I’ve not got years of experience so I try my hardest. I’m also not a birder that just wants to do it for the point of getting a tick on their list, I just enjoy watching nature do its thing 
    Luckily, I videoed it too so here it is 

Thanks