Is this a bird?

• In reply to Seaman:

Wendy S said:
    I once worked with a guy who was heavily into krautrock at that time I was playing in a folk band so we ended up with some interesting musical selections on the player in the works van.

Now that, Pete, would have been a killer niche to get into. Folkrautrock. Missed your calling there?

I once had a project with a buddy to render the works of Jimi Hendrix for barrel organ. Fortunately we never got around to it...

• In reply to Dave - CH:

But I can, to this day, here the opening bars of Purple Haze, replete with squeaky handle action...

• Dave I spent yesterday afternoon teaching those opening bars plus the riff from Smoke on the water to our 8 year old grandson to play on soprano ukulele. Quite limiting compared to an electric axe but he has the interest so hope there.

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• In reply to Seaman:

Wendy S said:
    I spent yesterday afternoon teaching those opening bars plus the riff from Smoke on the water to our 8 year old grandson

Now there's an afternoon well spent, Pete.

Wendy S said:
    on soprano ukulele

I'm genuinely impressed.

Wendy S said:
    Quite limiting compared to an electric axe

But there's a lot to be said for exploring the limitations of one's instrument. And at eight, that's a very good exercise to engage in (lots of professional musos don't do as much).

My fingers are crossed. I hope your grandson's aren't.

;-)

All the best - 

Dave 

• In reply to Dave - CH:

Last year top on his Christmas list was a banjo !! he ended up with a small concert banjo courtesy of Father Christmas who says he's not real ?

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• In reply to Seaman:

Wendy S said:
    Dave I spent yesterday afternoon teaching those opening bars plus the riff from Smoke on the water to our 8 year old grandson to play on soprano ukulele. Quite limiting compared to an electric axe but he has the interest so hope there.

Deep Purple                       Class 

My son's first encounter with prog rock was Pink Floyd, Dark Side Of The Moon

Mike

Flickr Peak Rambler

• In reply to Seaman:

Only Person Christmas (need to go with the flow, Pete) could deliver a banjo. Proof positive that (s)he exists.
  • In reply to Mike B:

Michael B said:

No King Crimson? That's a bit amiss Mike...

• In reply to Dave - CH:

Dave - CH said:

Michael B said:

No King Crimson? That's a bit amiss Mike...

One step at a time, especially as it didn't get the approval of Mrs PR!

I can confirm, now at 24, he's progressed his music tastes very nicely.

Mike

Flickr Peak Rambler

• Glad to hear that Mike.

Youngsters. Always a worry.

I distinctly recall a couple of lads who thought that Living in America was James Brown's debut single...