Only by listening, like a squeaky wheel

It's not a chiff chaff sound

It goes, "squeak.......squeak................squeak.......squeak"

Internet thinks it's a black and white warbler but this is a warm Oct in the SE of the UK, suburban/town garden

• Dunnock contact call?
  • Or a young Chiffchaff passing through, peoples idea of a squeak vary greatly

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• In reply to Robbo:

Dunnock in RSPB/Wiki is more melodious, the squeak squeak in the suburban/town garden is a more monotone squeak (whereas a chiff chaff has two notes, this seems to have just one note)

Would a dunnock's contact call just use one note instead of the reference varied song?
  • Yes, if it looks like a chiffchaff but isn't 'singing' like one, it could well be the 'hweet' contact call.
  • In reply to birdsong mysteries:

birdsong mysteries said:
    Dunnock in RSPB/Wiki is more melodious, the squeak squeak in the suburban/town garden is a more monotone squeak (whereas a chiff chaff has two notes, this seems to have just one note)

Would a dunnock's contact call just use one note instead of the reference varied song?

Your wiki references are referring to their songs. Only a few birds sing in Oct. Robins, and funnily enough, sometimes chiffchaffs are two of those.

Yes, contact calls are different and dunnock's and chiffchaff's are single syllable. The latter is the 'hweet' I referred to earlier. Unable to fish out examples and provide links at the moment.

• I agree with Robbo. Most probably a Dunnock contact call. You can listen to it HERE

Regards,Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• "Internet thinks it's a black and white warbler" - that's the internet for you.

Always look for the most common answer and then work forward from that once you've ruled out that possibility.

In this case - Dunnock.
  • I'd have said dunnock as for the internet, I take most things from the web with a big pinch of salt.

However, if you know what birds you have around you and a good idea what may be around, but not seen, try British-birdsongs UK web pages, they have a good selection (but not exhaustive) of British bird calls and song.

https://www.british-birdsongs.uk/

Mike

Flickr Peak Rambler

• Coal Tit contact call sounds like a squeaky supermarket trolley wheel to my ears, may be worth considering

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• In reply to Seaman:

Now Great Tit sounds more like a squeaky wheel to me but both of those Tits have a 2-note sound whereas I think the OP is hearing just the one note repeated (?)